New Sako A7

bobnob

Handloader
Nov 3, 2012
Hello Fellows, as per another post I've just bought into a Sako A7 stainless in 308 Win.

Just thought I'd share a few views on it. I've had it seven days now, with about 150 rounds in various configurations down the spout.

Initial loads which were leftovers from an old clunker 308 Win went into some pretty nice groups, even 150g Core Lokts loaded to a quite sluggish 2500fps. About 0.75 to 1.25 moa was consistent.

Couple of interesting stats (I think):

The OAL you can load to in the magazine is 2.907. More generous than I expected and better than some others.
The 168g Amax (which has a similar profile to many LR bullets suitable for the 308 Win) engages the lands at 2.891". This is a pretty short throat for a 308 in my experience and I thought augered well for getting bullets near the lands...

Here's the A7 magazine....
67FA0C0A-196A-4B90-A388-43C4C22AC135_zpsiyeaev2y.jpg

Here's the same mag with a 168g Amax (Zmax) loaded to 2.898"...
07F32522-3E0E-4093-93B8-502D39EFBF93_zpsrpbn3a4x.jpg

Went through a hit and miss process from there with some bulk 168g Amax / Zmax bullets. Eventually came up with a nice mild load of 49.0g of Reloder 17 which is doing 2700fps from the 22 inch bbl and printing nice 3 shot groups between 0.5 and 1.25" at 260y.

Here's three different charge weights with the 168g Amax at 260y...
61158E7A-5453-47E2-B05C-319B30B86A0D_zpsocrjo1bp.jpg

Nice rifle. Very well finished. Chamber is tight, ie the die needs to be RIGHT down on the shellholder to get ammo to chamber. Not the worst thing I believe.

At present the rifle has a second hand Redfield in secondhand Leupold QRW rings. This will change in time and so might a few other things, but in the meantime this is a really good going concern.

967A93BD-1FF5-4872-8EFC-CB81B83908EC_zpsb5jqgj7u.jpg

Most encouraging results for early efforts. The A7 is a fine rifle, to be sure, and that one appears to be no exception.

Very nice Bob. Looks like a very well thought out rifle. Your AMax load looks pretty good as well. Nothing to balk at there.

I'd further characterise it as No Frills, but very well designed and finished.

There's a lot of discussion on the forums as to why this model should or shouldn't cost more than a Tikka T3. Having now shot a bit of both, I can see the extra value here, especially if you're shooting a short action length cartridge.

Only real downside in my view is a little more plastic than I like, and a fairly limited range of chamberings.

I really like that the mag can be topped off from an open bolt.

Don't know if I mentioned it but the trigger was fantastic out of the box, and improved with a few counter clockwise turns of the adjustment screw. Other than that I've not tinkered with the rifle at all.

Great information! Those dimensions are important to know, and almost impossible to find. So many guys with short actions are limited in their OAL.

Friend of mine hunts with a SAKO in .308 Win. Not sure it's the same model as your rifle. Dang, that little thing is ACCURATE.

Guy

The Sako has a great name in these parts and I can see from your photos that you are working in the right direction to producing a very accurate load for it.
Thank you for the range report and photos!!

Blessings,
Dan

I would love a A7 in 338-fed or 223-rem. Truth be known that 308-win would still do 100% of my big game hunting. A local store had two NIB Sako 85 (I think) walnut stocks in 338Fed for $450 a steal I bet. If those were an A7 I would have paid $600 for another rifle just to have it. They had A7's for +$1200.

Back