New rifle build dilemma

Sas874runner

Handloader
Oct 10, 2012
I have been contemplating building a new rifle for a while now... such a hard decision on what to build. I have been thinking something in the rum chambers. I have a 300 rum. The 338 really grabs my attention but a 7rum would be really sweet with the 175 ablr. My other thought was a 338 lapua. Trying to compare the rum to the lapua.. does anyone have any insight with both of these cartridges. I don't see a huge difference between to 2 velocity wise especially when comparing barrels of the same length.

...I'd really take a good look @ the .338 Norma Mag, nearly Identical MV's, but the shorter case allows you to set the long, high BC bullets out where they need to be...

wildgene":1quz1oep said:
...I'd really take a good look @ the .338 Norma Mag, nearly Identical MV's, but the shorter case allows you to set the long, high BC bullets out where they need to be...

Yeah, the Norma Mag looks really good. For all the same reason's OLD Gene mentioned!

The RUM's are pretty appealing though, brass is pretty easy to get ahold of too.

Then, again, I think once you get onto the Lapua/Norma cases your on a bigger action most of the time. No idea, but it sounds like a fun project..

Maybe a 358 Remington Ultra Magnum! If your going to build it, probably wouldn't cost much more if any extra..

The 338 RUM is an awesome round and would be my pick. 338 Lapua brass is really good but expensive.
Ballistically, they are the same with a slight advantage going to the Lapua. I'm pushing the 250 gr AB 3000 fps and the 250 gr PT at 3024 fps with good case life. The 300 gr AB is just under 2700 fps but I have not done a lot of load development with this bullet.

The 7mm RUM is a fantastic round and it will push a 160 gr AB at 3300+ fps. The down side is barrel life which is around 1500 rounds.

JD338

I always like the unusual so the Norma Mag would be my pick :wink:!
Scotty I noticed on your post there was quite a emphasis on OLD. Would I be out of line to ask why that was done :lol:!

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2rawo2qs said:
Scotty I noticed on your post there was quite a emphasis on OLD. Would I be out of line to ask why that was done :lol:!

Blessings,
Dan

Nah, no real reason. I gotta get Gene when I can. He is a sniper, anything 8mm comes up, I feel the bus rolling over me!

SJB358":17wvltzd said:
sask boy":17wvltzd said:

Blessings,
Dan

Nah, no real reason. I gotta get Gene when I can. He is a sniper, anything 8mm comes up, I feel the bus rolling over me!

Well, if you would pick up a 325WSM all the razzing would cease. :grin:

DrMike":3eu6mdgk said:
SJB358":3eu6mdgk said:
sask boy":3eu6mdgk said:

Blessings,
Dan

...see, Scotty, the world is not that complicated... :roll: :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen:

wildgene":1dr262e3 said:
DrMike":1dr262e3 said:
SJB358":1dr262e3 said:
sask boy":1dr262e3 said:

Blessings,
Dan

...see, Scotty, the world is not that complicated... :roll: :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen:

I'm on it buddy! It's on the skyline. Need to start stocking up on brass and bullets.

The Norma mag would also be very cool. But I think that brass availability could be a big set back. Is it safe to say that a 338 rum can shoot the same velocity as the lapua if both were say 28" barrels. The lapua almost seems like a vanity rifle. Don't get me wrong they are sweet rigs and shoot really well but I mean 70 bucks for 25 cases from sps. If the rum or even Norma are capable of the same ballistics why wouldn't more people want them. Which I see as a benefit for us.

I think they will all be about the same. The Lapua just benefits from ultra tough Lapua brass. I can't see much the RUM couldn't do the Lapua can or the Norma, when loaded the same across the board. The 338-375 Ruger isn't a slouch either.

Id go 338 EDGE, and depending on your firearm platform I would put the wyatt extended magazine box in it.

The edge is just a 300 RUM necked up, and the wyatt box alows you almost a 4 inch COL.

That's too easy, 338 edge, Wyatt box, throated for heavy bullet of your choice. Lapua barely fits rem bolt face. 300 rum brass too easy to form into edge. Performance equally lapua

Thebear_78":2xokmzix said:
That's too easy, 338 edge, Wyatt box, throated for heavy bullet of your choice. Lapua barely fits rem bolt face. 300 rum brass too easy to form into edge. Performance equally lapua

yup!

Sas874runner":38lyb2z5 said:
I have been contemplating building a new rifle for a while now... such a hard decision on what to build. I have been thinking something in the rum chambers. I have a 300 rum. The 338 really grabs my attention but a 7rum would be really sweet with the 175 ablr. My other thought was a 338 lapua. Trying to compare the rum to the lapua.. does anyone have any insight with both of these cartridges. I don't see a huge difference between to 2 velocity wise especially when comparing barrels of the same length.

Skip the middlemen(.300 & .338RUM) and go for the .375RUM and 7mmRUM.

Damn. Just found something new That has my head spinning! 300 tejas! Now I wondering if I can do a 338 tejas. Or rechamber my rum

Back