Need opinions on the discontinued .358 dia. 225gr Ball. Tip

350JR

Handloader
Sep 21, 2012
I realize that the 35225 nosler 35 caliber ballistic tip is discontinued but.....have access to some.

Ive never seen a "bad" Nosler bullet so asking.

Some online quote this bullet was "too fragile" then again, others stated they had very little expansion.

Experiences? I'll only be running it 2500 or so fps for whitetail in a wildcat. Can't have too much info, but will of course test them before season.

Thanks in advance.

God Bless
Steve

Steve, I think they would be deer dynamite. I gotta think they would open up just fine, but that Solid Base will keep more than enough of that bullet together at a muzzle velocity 2500. I wouldn't be scared to run one of them into an elk at that speed. I think most "blow ups" were probably running that bullet in heavy magnums in excess of 3000 FPS..

What wildcat are you trying them in?

Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

Nosler offers the .358 225 gr AB which is the bonded version of the 225 gr BT.
It will work in spades for you at 2500 fps.

JD338

Steve,

The .358 225 grain Ballistic Tip will work very well at the velocities you suggest. They might not do such a great job in a 358 Norma, though even then, that is a lot of mass at good velocity which translates out into considerable energy and dead game in most instances. At 2500 fps (muzzle velocity), the bullet will work extremely well on whitetail. Welcome aboard.

Steve welcome to the forum. I used the 225 gr Ballistic Tip in my 35 Whelen to take moose, a blacktail deer, my only Stone sheep and probably a black bear (can't quite remember on the last one) It worked just fine at around 2700 fps on all animals. I would be using them still today if they still made them however the 225 gr AccuBond is a great slug just more expensive. Bottom line the 225 gr Ballistic Tip is a great bullet, the odd one will lose it's core when given a rough ride but it will have penetrated a long way before that happens.

Thanks, gang.
All great info and confirms what I felt would be the case but.......always good to have hand's on experiences related to you when in doubt.

God bless!
Steve

I've used a bunch of them over the years in a .358STA without issue. The bullet construction is much like a AB they just aren't bonded. At 3150fps they flat lay the hammer down on deer sized critters.

Thanks to all replying. I appreciate the help.
2500 fps might be "optimistic" for my round but time will tell.

Ran through ballistic/trajectory calculators even at 2300 fps it hangs onto plenty of energy and maintains adequate velocity out further than realistic needs for my hunting.

I hadnt known that the velocity recommended with acceptable expansion for these was lower than the AB series.

All Ive read negative about them was from those slinging them at very high velocities and almost always it was 30 caliber and under for uses where claims were made of them 'blowing up".

With the min velocity claims, the excellent BC, and almost universal opinion of them being one of the most accurate a lot have shot..........I think I may want to find another couple hundred before they become extinct altogether.

Nothing wrong with the newer AB of course and the 200 grainers do look promising for my smaller capacity round but these look like they will be "the ticket" at my mid velocity range uses.

Thanks again.
God Bless

I would imagine that if you lay in a good supply of the 225 grain BT for your cartridge, you'll be smiling every time you pull the trigger on game.

Interesting little tidbit on the 225 grain BT bullet (that arrived today) in making up a dummy round.

Even in this short (1.795") case, this bullet has to be seated to the bottom of the neck to feed through a 350 Rem mag clip and rifle.

Seated just slightly short of the bottom of the neck, OAL of 2.850.......nope. Seated roughly .04" deeper and it will work through the action like I actually know what im doing LOL.

With a standard 350 RM case, one would have the bullet WAY down inside the body to run through the clip.

This is almost like it's custom made, clip size wise, to run the round with this bullet seated to the bottom of the neck. ANY deeper and Id lose usable case capacity, even in this short wildcat.

Not a tack driving fool, but a hunter.........Ill be content but I hadnt given ANY thought to there possibly BEING a bullet that would push the limits of the 350 RM clip in OAL.

Live and learn, I apologize to those that find my posts "amateurish".....my first wildcat.

God Bless
Steve

Photo093.jpg

There was a guy that had like 40 boxes of .35 cal 225 BT's for sale on Long Range Hunting a while back. If your looking for more it might be worth doing a search and seeing if he still has some.

You came up with a really interesting round, thanks for sharing it with us. I do wish they would bring back the 225 gr Ballistic Tip but I'm pretty happy with the Accubonds though.

I think that round looks pretty cool. Tailor fit for tailored hunting! Whats not to like about it. Great work.

Political mandates imposed on a creative people results in rather exciting responses. Never underestimate the ability of a free people to shake off the shackles of those who wish to be political masters. Fascinating response, 350JR. It would be fascinating to see a sampling of the responses from other Indiana hunters to these mandates.

Dr. Mike.....put in a search for the 358 WSSM or 35 Grant......a site or two will show up where some real wiz bang rounds are out there to use in IN. Expensive as .well you know......to get rifle in them set up. I went my own way and beat my own path for an affordable option.

Not quite the case capacity of the rounds using shortened WSM like this years contenders, but at about 1/3 the cost of the conversion, including dies.

Without fired brass in hand, I cant give specifics but all indications are that since already a touch over 358 Win capacity, blown out cases, neck sized will give me the edge even over a 358 Win rifle.

A 358 Win, being .22 inches longer than the 350 JR, would then have this particular bullet seated into the body/powder charge space, reducing such.....perhaps only a little but Ive never been fond of seating below the bottom of the neck. Just seems self defeating.

Since my last post I took the 225 BT and measure it, dededucted that length from a standard 350 RM rounds that will fit the clip and chamber without a hitch (what the rifle was made for), then deducted my trimmed brass length for a neg amount that gives me the bullet depth. Interesting accident here.

Measured, the 225 BT is 1.365, (even though the 225 AB is listed at 1.375). My trim length is 1.790 (leaving room for particular conservation officers that want to measure FIRED brass) that is .005 below the reamed chamber being set up. 1.795 case round. .005 below MAX length legally allowed.

2.800 - 1.375- 1.790 = -.355"

The "accident" is that .355 is the SAAMI neck length of the parent round, to which I should be running very close to since I only set back the entire top of the factory round .375 and went with it. Whatever the usable case capacity ends up.......I wont lose a lick.

http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_dr ... Magnum.pdf

Let's just call that a very close call....and happened unintentionally. Its better to be lucky than good!

God Bless

I think the 35 Grant is the 1.8 inch version. Velocities advertised on that....well, lets just say I am scratching my head on that.

One......WHY for here in IN. A 250 yard shot is like...........hens teeth here.
Two..... For deer, a couple inches of "improved" trajectory isnt work the recoil, the cost and ...oh yeah......I said RECOIL. IMHO anyway but maybe Im a weenie..a poor one! lol
Three......Sorry..hot dang the velocities quoted look like they are over and above any pressure round ID pull the trigger on. I really doubt Ill push this to the limit and try to match Bullet's 2574 fps (IF I got the numbers and the person correctly. Forgive me if I didnt) or whatever it was in his 358. Fun to know what it CAN get but whatever is most accurate and a grain or two down from max will suffice for me and my uses.

Here in the Hoosier state, and for whitetail, I wont need top end velocities and pressures. No issues at all for those that like reaching for them. All of it is good fun, in my book.

I just added some "cool" factor to my hunting I think having a DIY round.

Watch......I'll whack my buck at about 18 yards (dont laugh. Last year it wasnt 25 FEET). ROFL! BET IT WILL STILL WORK!

God Bless and many thanks for all the help and advice.

Steve

PS......I'll add some "bullet test" results later on if the rifle shows up in time for season. I should be able to hit at LEAST one, for heaven's sake!

Me too......about to start losing hair here 6 weeks before firearm season and no rifle!!!!!

arghhhhhhh

Back