Meplat Trimming

Palouser

Handloader
Jan 20, 2012
I am curious to hear if anybody does this and if it has any positive impact on accuracy?

I bought the set up for 338 . I have not done any testing yet . I've only played around with it a little , very little . sorry , I really can't tell you much about it . one thing I learned from reading is , the sinclair tool is plastic and not very repeatable . most guys seem to like the montour county rifle tool , or the accuracy one tool . I bought the montour county rifle tool . I have a couple pics on my camera I'll load on photobucket and post on the forum in a day or two .

http://www.montourcountyrifles.com/

http://www.accuracyone.com/products/bullettipping/

Yes, the best way is to trim then point your bullets to get the most accuracy. I was able to shrink my groups a tad, more so at distance, just time consuming

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

waveslayer":wkvclgac said:
Yes, the best way is to trim then point your bullets to get the most accuracy. I was able to shrink my groups a tad, more so at distance, just time consuming

What trimmer do you have?

I use the Sinclair one, I personally just point all my bullets using Whidden dies. Quick and easy

I bought the tool for my 338 / 300gr Berger bullets . my opinion is for hunting the bergers need to have the hollow point checked to be sure it's not blocked . there have been many stories of the bergers just penciling through , showing little signs of expansion . so I get to checking the cavity on these and a bunch are blocked . I bought a mini hand drill and bits , it's actually called a pin vise . a 0.027" drill bit is the size of the hole , so I drilled a couple . this drill set I bought from E-Bay must be junk , because this is the hardest lead I've ever seen . a lot of the bullets seem to just have the very tip blocked , so I thought maybe I could use a meplat tool and open them up . I've only gave the tool a twist or two on a couple of the blocked ones , but it looks like it's going to do what I think I need . it looks to be changing things enough though that I'm probably going to have to do all or none , time will tell on this . I'll shoot a few of each at longer distance and see if I get two groups . what I've read is trimming the meplat will lower the BC of the bullet a little , but will make them all the same . like I said this is a work in progress , and I don't know the outcome yet . here are the couple pics I have .

before .

after .

before .

after .

G'Day Palouser,

I use the one from Sinclair Int'l as well and for the 6.5mm and the .338.
Sorry, I'm not able to confirm one way or other what effect doing this has, as I have only ever shot them after.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Back