Match Chambers vs. Standard Chambers

CMBTshooter

Handloader
Jun 8, 2011
What is the difference between a match chamber and a standard chamber? Is it the neck thickness and different tolerances or am I totally off?

Usually a match chamber is on the tight side of specs in just about all dimensions. A standard is on the loose side. In some dimensions it may only be .001" and others like the neck can be .004-.005".

Ok that's what I thought. Thanks Idaho CTD, I figured you would be the first to respond.

It really depends on who cuts your match chamber.
Often it involves a shortened throat, and a tight throat. It's common for a tight necked chamber to require brass where the necks have been turned to a specific thickness.

I have my .308 barrels chambered with what is known as the '95 Palma reamer. That was made for the 1995 Palma competition.

It accepts factory ammo, but is still tighter than a standard chamber. My brass lasts a long time, and is easy to re-size since it doesn't get a chance to expand much. Accurate? Oh yeah...

In most cases, the match chambered rifle will out-shoot the standard chamber because their match chamber will giv greater consistency----and what match shooter doesn't want something consistent it can be had without the shooter having to change something?

Back