M48 Trigger

killdeernow

Beginner
Dec 20, 2006
So I read the article in American Rifleman and I have a question...

Why did Nosler abandon the Timney system in favor of the Rifle Basix system?

I'm curious because I have Timney triggers in all of my rifles. Am I missing out on something? I know Jewell is a pretty sweet setup but I have to take out a loan for 4 of those.

My guess is Rifle Basics gave them a better deal on triggers than Timney. Either trigger system is a good set up. I have one of each and really can't tell the difference.

I think that the 3 position system on the Timney was giving some of the owners problems (confusion) as to the 2 position system on most rifles.
Russ

"TRIGGERS" .... now here is a "can 'o worms" ... I have to throw my $.02 in here because to my antique way of thinking, the original model 70's and Mauser '98 triggers were the best system ever devised - Timney has always made an outstanding system, Jewell has set the "standard", I'm not very impressed with the Basic, but all of them will (and do) freeze in adverse inclement conditions and I am still encountering stories on other forums of 700's and other "newer" triggers doing that in the "North Country" although my 2 Abolt freeze ups happened in Snake River and Colorado - I have several Kimber Montana's which boast a very nicely done Rem 700 "clone" albeit in STEEL but they are still an enclosed trigger group that will collect, hold and freeze moisture leaving me with the basic personal belief that the formerly mentioned triggers are really the "only" true huntin' rifle trigger (although Dayton Traistor used to make a very simple, quality trigger too) So I have a question ... when a company is making a "custom" hunting rifle that will cost alot of $$ why don't they develop a "custom" trigger as well ? and keep "huntin' rifle" in their mind when doing so ? It is all fine and good to boast a trigger that can be adjusted to 8oz. but I hope nobody plans to venture out with those as they (IMO) belong on the bench, even dogtown varmint rifles should have SOME safety concerns - A friend of mine who is of that "8 oz school" insists that he keeps his rifle protected under his coat (or whatever) when he hunts so trigger design is a mute point but I am not talking of that kind of hunting, I'm talking of the "other" kind ...

I like the M70's triggers of old. I haven't fired enough of the new SC made M70's to really get a good opinion. Of those I have fired, they have been very nice though. Scotty

Never meant to imply that these triggers don't work good, they mostly work great as long as the conditions are "fair weather" - My complaint is with the enclosed trigger mechanism itself, enclose something with alot of inner mechanism like a watch or a trigger. add moisture of any kind (rain, mist, fog, drippy nose ...) then freeze it and you have a potential problem - I go to great lengths to alleviate "potential problems" while hunting

Back