Louisiana Hunting

CMBTshooter

Handloader
Jun 8, 2011
I just got the official notification this morning that I will be moving to Louisiana next summer. Has anyone hunted on or around Fort Polk?

How big do the deer get around there?

How's the hog hunting?

How the heck do you field dress a gator?

I'm not a swamp guy but I'm familiar with Louisiana having been there a few times. Are there any special considerations for hunting there?

Louisiana is a Duck hunter's paradise. Having said that the Atchafalaya swamp is great for deer and hogs but make sure you have your waders handy. Gators are common and a stop in one of the local sporting goods stores will push you in the right direction. Lots of friendly people.

Thanks big rifle man. I'm going to be working on Fort Polk and will spend a lot of time in the field and since you're allowed to hunt there I will just take it as free scouting.

Good luck with your move to Cajun country.

JD338

I'd say fishing and fowling would be my primary focus, I've been to Ft Polk twice for JRTC. The swamp deer are small from what I've seen of them, with generous limits from what I understand from the guys I knew who were stationed there. Watch out for water moccasins we killed a few each time we were out in the field. Don't let the South fool you I thought I was going to die of hypothermia one night and a few guys in my unit had to be taken out of the field to be treated for frostbite.

I guess they have special rules for muzzleloader season. You can use single shot rifles 35 cal and up. My buddy uses a H&R 35 Whelen.

It is called primitive weapons season and yes you can use any single shot rifle 35 cal and up. I know a fellow that lives there and he also has a 35 Whelen.

Back