LH Rem 700 CDL 270 Win

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
This is a recent purchase that I have been doing some loading for on and off for a couple of months. It is a pretty gun the pictures just don't do it justice, not bad for a fairly inexpensive gun.....

Shoots good so far with the 160 gr Partition with Magnum and the 140 gr Ballistic Tip with IMR 7828 ssc. It doesn't care for H 4831 sc for some reason which is pretty rare from what I gather with the 270 Win. Glad I had other choices in powder.

For those who have used them what can I expect with the 140 gr Ballistic Tip on game, can I expect bloodshot soup or will it not be too destructive? I have some 140 gr Accubonds loaded up and am hopeful they will group well with IMR 7828 SSC, would be a great all around load in the 270 Win.

Gerry- in my experience, ABs will shoot to darn near POI/POA with the BTs. There just isn't enough difference in shape or construction to matter in that dept.

I use BTs for practice loads and load development and then substitute the AB for hunting rounds.

I don't know what the BT will do, but I believe they are a fair bit tougher than some years ago. My preference is always the AB though.

Fine figure in the wood, Gerry. The CDLs are pretty, to be sure. And it looks as if you have a shooter. Funnily enough, I have done practically zilch with the .270. However, 140s from a .280 work just about right. I've never seen game damaged badly with that weight of bullet. If I was shooting a .270, 140s might well be on the agenda for me.

I've only shot one deer with a 130 grn BT with my 270 win, and I did get quite a bit of blood shot for some reason. Maybe at 100 yards or just under. Just a "sample of one," but I'll put that out there as a data point.

I've taken a couple with 140 grn AB in my 270, and they were clean kills, and even closer ranges.

Great looking rifle. Wow - Remington found a nice chunk of wood for that one!

Guy

Hey gerry that is a great looking rifle. I have never shot anything but 130gr bullets out of my CDL. But with my son's BDL I loaded up some 150gr ABLRs for his moose hunt and they worked real well.
The CDL is a good hunting rifle at a very decent price.
Thanks for the sharing.

Blessings,
Dan

hodgeman":1cfnb3zd said:
Gerry- in my experience, ABs will shoot to darn near POI/POA with the BTs. There just isn't enough difference in shape or construction to matter in that dept.

I use BTs for practice loads and load development and then substitute the AB for hunting rounds.

I don't know what the BT will do, but I believe they are a fair bit tougher than some years ago. My preference is always the AB though.

I certainly hope that is the case the 140 gr AccuBond seems to be an excellent all around bullet.

DrMike":1cfnb3zd said:
Fine figure in the wood, Gerry. The CDLs are pretty, to be sure. And it looks as if you have a shooter. Funnily enough, I have done practically zilch with the .270. However, 140s from a .280 work just about right. I've never seen game damaged badly with that weight of bullet. If I was shooting a .270, 140s might well be on the agenda for me.

Those Ballistic Tips are the ones I got from you along with the 140 gr AB's :lol: Shoots great out of the box so far.

NWBlacktail":1cfnb3zd said:
I've only shot one deer with a 130 grn BT with my 270 win, and I did get quite a bit of blood shot for some reason. Maybe at 100 yards or just under. Just a "sample of one," but I'll put that out there as a data point.

I've taken a couple with 140 grn AB in my 270, and they were clean kills, and even closer ranges.

I like how the AccuBond sounds, it does sound like from others as well that the 130 gr Ballistic Tips can be a bit destructive, maybe the 140's are just enough slower to be not so bad in that regard.

Guy Miner":1cfnb3zd said:
Great looking rifle. Wow - Remington found a nice chunk of wood for that one!

Guy

I couldn't believe it when I opened the box, I asked the store where I bought it to send a nice looking one if possible and they sure did. Was a good sale on top of that too because unfortunately Remington discontinued the left hand CDL this year :( Glad I got one before they disappeared :)

sask boy":1cfnb3zd said:
Hey gerry that is a great looking rifle. I have never shot anything but 130gr bullets out of my CDL. But with my son's BDL I loaded up some 150gr ABLRs for his moose hunt and they worked real well.
The CDL is a good hunting rifle at a very decent price.
Thanks for the sharing.

Blessings,
Dan

I agree Dan, I know yours has done very well for you over the years.

Nice rifle Gerry, looks like a shooter too!..It didn't take long to get blood on it with that nice bear pal (y)

Lou

LD375":16olc7yj said:
Nice rifle Gerry, looks like a shooter too!..It didn't take long to get blood on it with that nice bear pal (y)

Lou

Thanks, it looks like it is going to shoot nicely. Hope to do a bit more load development in the next week with IMR 7828 SSC with the 140 gr AB mentioned already and the Hornady 150 gr Spire Point.

Man, the 160 PT shoots really well Gerry. I think you have some room to grow as well, if you wanted too.

I run 150 PT's/BT's in my 270 WSM. Both shoot really well. In your neck of the woods, I really think you'd have a hard time beating any of the better built 140/150's. That is a beautiful rifle. I really do like the CDL's.

Gerry,
That's a nice looking huntin' stick, .270 win and a 6x leupy, I like. Did that 160 Partition work up pretty easy or was it finicky.

Scotty I'm pretty pleased with how they shoot and can see them being used a lot for close range stuff. Have high hopes for the 140 gr AccuBond as an all around load, pretty sure they will shoot from the limited shooting with them so far.

Bruce Mc":1f4wxjcd said:
Gerry,
That's a nice looking huntin' stick, .270 win and a 6x leupy, I like. Did that 160 Partition work up pretty easy or was it finicky.

All I did was seat them just off the lands (3.475" since it has a long throat, the 140's are even farther out) and work up. Ramshot lists 59.1 gr of Magnum as a max for 2822 fps, I got 2672 fps so thought it would be fine to go one grain higher and see how they grouped, it obviously worked well and I think at 2705 fps the load is safe. Almost out of Magnum now so as soon as some of the new Canadian made IMR 7977 shows up locally I'll give it a try Hodgdon shows 2843 fps with 60 gr which looks real good.

2843 with that 160 is a great load Gerry. Nothing really short range about that. Folks run 165's out of a 30-06 at 2850 all day long and believe that load to be the epitome of good! That 160 PT should penetrate like a demon as well. Pretty sure you'd clobber bullwinkle pretty hard.

Yeah, I'd say that one's a keeper. It has obviously served you well in the field too.

This thread illustrates why I sometimes get defensive about this cartridge. Some people look down their noses at it, for a variety of reasons, and it is true that it does not have the raw power of a 7mm RM or .300 WM. It is also true that the .270 does not have as many bullets available as, say, the .284 or .308 bores. But to say that it doesn't have enough bullets available, or that it doesn't hit hard enough, is flat false. Between the 90 grain Speer, the various 130/140 hunting bullets and that 160 grain sledgehammer of a Partition, it is one tough customer.

Handloader magazine had terrific articles on the .270 in both the December and February editions.

Gerry, very nice rifle, and my apologies for the rant!

I hear you and agree, there are more than enough bullets available. Along with the options you mentioned there are a whole bunch of great 100-110 gr bullets now available, a 110 gr AccuBond or TTSX at 3300-3400 fps are real intriguing for open country deer and antelope hunters. There are so many different bullets available you would never be able to try them all :)

Those 160 gr Partitions like Scotty mentioned are a penetrating machine and I really like them.

Have the February Handloader magazine and it is a good one liked the article by John Haviland in particular.

gerry":k1f3ype8 said:
I hear you and agree, there are more than enough bullets available. Along with the options you mentioned there are a whole bunch of great 100-110 gr bullets now available, a 110 gr AccuBond or TTSX at 3300-3400 fps are real intriguing for open country deer and antelope hunters. There are so many different bullets available you would never be able to try them all :)

Those 160 gr Partitions like Scotty mentioned are a penetrating machine and I really like them.

Have the February Handloader magazine and it is a good one liked the article by John Haviland in particular.

I agree with you there Gerry. I love my 270 WSM alot. It is one of mine that is really a favorite. It runs 150 PT's at 3150, it's pretty light, very maneuverable. I'd love to have a 270 Winchester as well.

On another thought, I worked up some loads for my little brothers 270 Win (Ruger American LH). It shot 140 AB's and RL22 well under 2" at 200 yards right outta the gate. I was very impressed..

Back