Leupold ??

NOSLER

Handloader
Sep 23, 2004
We had a guy come into our shop, for 3 years has had the same problem. He is sighted in, then while hunting his scope seems to be off.
We tend to think that a combination of nerves, as well as confidence and or dropping his rifle to be the main issue, but does anyone have some other insight into this??

The scope is a Vari-X II 3-9, made in 1980's.

Does he ever confirm his zero immediately after one of these 'episodes'?

Does he use a tight sling, which may flex the fore-arm into contact with the barrel?

Does the humidity change dramatically between when and where he zeroes his scope and the time and place he hunts?

George

Yes he then confirms the zero has changed. I agree with your notion of a tight sling.

Thanks!!

I'm always amazed at how many scopes are off while hunting, but work fine at the range. I usually think its just an excuse for operator error. I agree that any of those problems could cause a shift. Chance are a stiff synthetic stock would fix his problems if its really equiptment. Its possible that temp change is effecting his loads. The military always uses the phrase "train as you fight". We as hunters should adapt that to "practice as you hunt."

Is it a drastic POI change or just a couple inches at 100yds, and does the POI seem to come back to where it should be after several rounds have been fired?

I see people all the time who sight in their rifle, and of course the barrel has a decent amount of rounds through it when they're done. They then proceed to go home, clean the barrel until it's absolutely spotless and oil it thoroughly. Then to top it all off, some people insist on removing the stock, oiling all the metal and then reassembling, without the use of a torque wrench of course. Then they take their freshly cleaned, oiled and reassembled rifle hunting and assume the first round should go where they want. In almost every instance the POI is going to be off for at least the first round and maybe more, which doesn't cause any problems for a 100yd shot, but shots at 300yds+ have enough change in POI to cause some serious problems.

The scope mentioned in the above post is currently in my hands and works 100%. Each time Leupold has received this scope, it has been over adjusted which would cause the POI shift. Here is a little history regarding older Leupold scopes that will shine day light on the mentioned complaint.

Leupold Vari-X II and M8 rifle scopes have been produced for over 35 years and during this time many improvements have been made. The front pivot erector system was common to all Leupold M8 and Vari-X II scopes manufactured in the 1960's and 70's. This system is easily recognized by the presence of a small dimple, about 1/32" diameter, located on the bottom of the objective tube. The location of this dimple puts it in close proximity to the front ring when the scope is mounted on the rifle. The front pivot system has noticeably less adjustment travel than the newer rear pivot scopes. In fact, the old style 3-9x has only 26 minutes of travel for windage and elevation. The new style 3-9x has 56 minutes total travel.

Since it is not possible to increase the adjustment range of these scopes, special consideration should be taken when mounting your scope. We recommend the use of a windage adjustable mount system such as the Leupold STD base. Also, it is desirable to mount the scope as low as possible. Low rings are best for the 3-9x, 2-7x or 4x scopes on most rifles. Position the scope so that the dimple is not under the front ring. Clamping the front ring directly over the dimple can impede the travel in the adjustment system.

When sighting in the old style scope begin by finding the center of the adjustment range for both windage and elevation. The best way to do this is to run the adjustment out to its extreme in one direction. At the end of the travel you will reach a hard stop. At this point run the adjustment back in the opposite direction counting the revolutions of the dial. When you reach the end of the travel reverse direction to the halfway point. At this point you are ready to sight in the scope.

Use a target at close range, 50 yards or less. Fire one shot. If you need to make a windage correction use the mount base adjustment. Move the back end of the scope in the direction you want the impact to move. You should be able to zero the windage within 2 inches at 50 yards using only the mount base adjustment. Check this by firing another shot. Minor corrections can be made with the internal scope adjustment at this point.

You are now ready to zero the elevation using the internal adjustment. By keeping the internal windage adjustment mechanism close to the center of its range you will be certain to have the full amount of elevation travel. The more windage you dial into the internal mechanism, the less elevation travel will be available. It can be said that the inside of the scope resembles a clock. With your windage properly centered your elevation will run from 6 to 12 o'clock. If your windage is out to the right, for example, your elevation will run from 4 to 2 o'clock. The latter condition will significantly reduce the amount of elevation travel.

In extreme cases it may be necessary to use a shim to adjust the elevation range. If you need to raise the point of impact use a shim beneath the rear base. To lower the impact, place the shim beneath the front base. The bullet impact will move approximately one inch for every .001 of shim. We have blued shim stock available.

If you are using a Ruger rifle with integral base and are not able to get enough windage please contact Sturm Ruger (603) 863-3300 in New Hampshire. Ruger can provide a special concentric ring made to give extra windage. These rings will be made to your requirements.

Regards,

Leupold Technical Service

now that's what I call service! Not only has Mr. Leupold had that scope several time, but he has it again and is explaining to us all what is happening. Makes me want to go out and buy a Leupold! Where's that credit card? :wink:

I got my Leupold VariX iii 1.5-5X20 back today, Nov 9 . I sent it to Leupold, and it arrived there on Nov 1. They sent me a post card that day estimating it would require 7 working days to fix.

The scope was damaged in a guncase, apparently a heavy blow tweaked the vertical adjustment turret. The folks took it apart, inspected it completely and put it back together. It looks almost new again. They also put in a little chart showing how much up, down, left and right adjustment the scope actually has.

They then shipped it back, UPS Ground. Cost to me for the above: $0.

Outstanding work, Mr. Leupold.

jim :grin:

Like Nosler partitions, Leupold optics are one constant that I have come to trust implicitly over the past 40+ years of hunting and shooting. I simply have had such good success with Leupold that I cannot see any reason to strike off on some other brand, no matter how good it "appears" to be. Both Nosler and Leupold....keep up the good work!!!! :grin: Eagleye.

Many good points made on an interesting topic. I for one don't see how Leupold can do all this free service work forever but of course I hope they do.

Keep in mind that, as pointed out, the scope is only one part of the variables in bullet impact. The way a rifle is held, changes in the stock due to weather and most of all the shooter are just some of the things that affect the result.

I have a very old Leupold 3-9 and it stays sighted in on a even older FN 270. Staying sighted in is more important than groups to me and I would fix or sell a rifle that does not do this not that every rifle that I have is perfect at all. This topic really keeps me working on them and going to the range. I think I like the problem solving but it's very good to have some rifles that one can fall back on.

I have never, ever had a Leo fail on me in any way.

I bought my first new Leupold scope in 1975. I was 15 and I HAD to have that scope for my new to me Ruger M77mm Rem mag. THe dealer charged me $65 for a new 2-7 variable. I was crossing a fence one day with the rifle slung over my shoulder, (yes I know, I was teen ager, and therefore immortal). Any way, the rig slipped off my shoulder and the eyepiece bell hit squarely on the rim of a barrel. This dented and jammed the eyepiece cross threaded on the scope...my NEW scope!
The POI did not change! I had that rig for 10 years, and when I traded it, it still had that scope on it.
Since then, I have had a couple of 3.5-10s..one 40 mm, one 50mm, two or three 3-9s and a M8 fixed 6 power. All have worked flawlessly. The one time I let some one sell me another brand, I got over on the north coast elk hunting. I threw up my rifle to look through the scope...it was fogged...internally. You could have probly heard my yell in the south valley. Since then, the only thing that "cheap" scopes live on in my rifle cabinet is .22s

D

Recently received one of the new Leupold 4-12 VX 11 that Leupold sent to replace a scope that was bent while tumbling down the expanded metal-drill stem stairs to an elevated blind. Totally my fault but Leupold replaced the scope free of charge. Took it hunting yesterday. No deer showed until very late. It was so dark that I would periodically sweep the field I was watching with my binoculars since my old eyes weren't able to pick up much. A doe and fawn showed up and I videod them for a time with a camcorder I recently bought and was trying for the first time. After videoing the deer for a few mnutes I put down the camcorder and picked up the rifle to see how the Leupold performed under low light. Amazing! Checked with the binoculars and found that the scope was as bright as the Swarovski 8x56 binocs I use.

Thanks to Leupold for the great warranty and quality products.
Pancho

Leupold service is a thumbs up no doubt .. I have used them exclusively for close to 40 years .. Finally last year I got to use the service department .. My Number One 375 Holland fell off the bench onto a concrete pad ... Needless to say the scope took the brunt of the impact ..
Sent to Mr Loopy and scope comes backs with new erector set and recharged and a complete inspection to ensure no other problems ....
My cost ?? Shipping to the shop ..
Just re affirmed what I already knew .. The Best scope and the Best service ..
People who stand behind their products , can do free service forever because we WILL come back and continue to purchase the products ..
My damaged scope was something that was my fault , not Loopys , and it was still free .. Can't beat that ..
No comments from peanut gallery poopie !!!
Jack

That's why Leupold scopes retain their value, the warranty. It's the only scopes I put on my rifles. I've sent several back and the service has been outstanding!

Brad

My Leupold story: Bought my first one in 1975 for my Contender, a 2X LER. I used it for years on a variety of handguns, some with a lot of recoil, and it performed flawlesly. In about 1985 I was changing the scope to a new barrel when I noticed a slight "rattle" as I handled the bare scope. I could see nothing wrong and the scope had functioned flawlessly, but handguns are hard on scopes so to be safe I sent it off to the factory. In a few weeks I had a brand-new scope in my hands! Leupold had made a number of changes in that particular model since I had purchased it (to add robustness), and apparently they thought that I should have the latest version for use on my heavily-recoiling handugns. Thanks Leupold!

This is too little, too late but;
The problem here is solved but the same problem happens all the time for other reasons. Usually not the scope or the rifle. This happened to me a time or 3 before I caught on. Sighting in my rifle at the range out to 500 meters my.300 WBY. shot real good groups and never changed POI for months of shooting. Well, in getting ready for my first elk hunting trip to Idaho I, of course, cleaned the rifle real good and made the barrel look like new. In getting to our hunting camp I hunted for a couple of days and didn't get a shot. On day 3 It rained hard so we stayed in camp and decided we should check our sight in. On a 8 in. paper plate at 100 yards I clipped the edge of the plate from a solid rest. I couldn't believe I'd bumped the scope that hard but??? The second and third shot were dead center. Hmm!! I shot the next day with a cold barrel and hit center. I cleaned the rifle up real good again. Shot and hit at 2 Oclock 3 1/2 inches from center. The next shot was center. Ah Haa!! At least with that rifle the residue of oil or solvent or something threw the first shot most every time. So now I fire a clearing shot after cleaning before I hunt. Has anyone else ran into this?

Back