Leupold Vari-X11c 4X12X40AO

jdmason480

Beginner
Jul 23, 2005
I recently bought a new to me barely used Browning A-Bolt 7mmSTW that has on it a Leupold Vari-XIIc 4X12X40AO scope. I've always had Weaver optics but appreciate the reputation of Leupold which, by the way, has been further enhanced by discussions in this forum.

I have two questions, though, that weren't answered to my satisfaction in the owner's manual I downloaded from the Leupold site.

The windage and elevation adjustment dials say 2MOA with 4,6,8,0 around the dial with 4 hash maeks in between each numeral. What does an adjustment of 1 hash mark do at 100 yds? I'm used to one 'click' equals 1/4" at 100 yds. I know that 1 MOA is 1" at 100. Can someone tell me what each mark is on the new scope without me having to calculate the square root of pie or shooting a box of ammo at 25 yds?

Secondly, any recommendations on where to leave the AO ring adjustment in the field? As you know things sometimes happen quickly out there and I don't want to necessarily have to adjust the AO ring for my shot.

Thank you,
jd

Each hash mark moves the adjustment about 1/2 inch. It takes some getting used to, but Leupold has eliminated this on all their new scopes. I've used the same scope for over ten years now, taken over 30 head of game with it and it has never failed me. I hunt out West so I leave the AO set at 300 yards. Up close it makes no difference, but out at 300, 400, and 500 it does. I leave it on 300 that way I'm good out to 350 or so and if I have to take a really long shot I can dial it up because if I'm shooting past 300 I usually have extra time to laser the range etc.

Brad

Thank you, sir. That'll save me some ammo.

I'm glad you've had a great experience. I look forward to my next 30 animals!

Jeff

Thank you, sir. That'll save me some ammo.

I'm glad you've had a great experience. I look forward to my next 30 animals!

Jeff

Back