Lee Factory crimping Die

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
Now that I've started reloading my .357 Sig I have found that the major issue is bullet slippage. There just isn't much of a neck to hold a bullet in place. I used the standard .357 Sig Hornady case crimper that came with my reloading dies and it works, but not too well, especially with the 124 grain Ranier bullets that I'm loading. When I push the loaded round against a hard surface the bullet moved without too much effort. I then read up on the Lee Factory crimping die and the fact that it pushes the case up against the bullet and pretty much solves slippage. Lee has this die for a multitude of cases. I purchased the Die, set it up, and it definitely does solve the problem of bullet slippage. Very reasonable in price ($17.00 from midway). Very good product from Lee.

I have used Lee Factory Crimp Dies for many years on a variety of cartridges. They have served me well when they are set up properly. I like them and use them a lot.

The Lee dies have worked well for me in .45 ACP, .223 Rem and 7.62x25 Tok. Some don't like them, but they have their place for reloading for semi-auto in my opinion.

The Lee Factory Crimp Die works very well in my 357/38 sp. and 40 S&W.

I recently bought a 357 Sig barrel for my 40 S&W M&P and it works well. 9mm bullets at the Sig velocity are very impressive. With 357 Sig ammo being very expensive, I want to reload for it. I reload for 40 S&W ammo and I saw on another post here that you can start with a 40 S&W die and then use a 357 Sig die, does anyone know if you have to lube the neck?

IMG_0276_zpsnrtfqjlx.jpg

Shot this into water jugs at 10 yards, bullet was in the 3rd jug and dented the 4th jug.

AFG270, I've also read where .357 Sig reloaders use the .40 S&W Carbide sizing die for the case and then use the .357 Sig die for the neck operation. If you plan on going that route I would lube the inside neck as stretching is definitely "not" going to help in this case. I don't mind the extra step in lubing the cases and then resizing them with my Hornady sizer. One hour in the tumbler and their ready to go. I've been using Starline and they've held up very well.

Thanks, big rifle man. Do you know if the Lee FC die is a taper crimp, roll crimp or something else, it doesn't say on Midways website. Most semi-autos are taper crimp, i.e. 40 S&W and 9mm.

Also, what Rainier 124 gr bullet are you using, a HP or FP? I see Speer makes a 125 gr TMJ (355 diameter) especially for the Sig, but they are about twice the price as the Rainier bullets.

On pistol ammo I load everything on my Dillon presses with Dillon dies which are tapper crimp even for the 357 and 38spl.
Been debating getting a FC die for the 35 AI though I haven't done it yet.

What the Lee factory crimp die does is take the side of the case and squeeze it into the bullet with the top portion giving it a slight roll crimp (or more if you screw the die down further). I use the 124 grain Ranier flat Point that is designed for use in the .357 Sig.

Back