Latest Youth Rifle Idea

I'm with Scotty - when sporter weight barrels are 2-4" infer, it's not a big deal. Stock dimensions are the real issue for most young shooters. Heavier barrels are a different story, but I'd rather have a 20" sporter weight in a properly sized stock than a 16-18" in a stock with too short or too long a pull.

YoteSmoker":2evhesz1 said:
Big Squeeze, I have owned a Model 7 in 308 with a 18.5" barrel. I loved how short and light it was but the muzzle jump and blast was quite noticeable (at the range with ear plugs). On the subject of velocity, it was quite a bit slower than my 26" barreled 308 with same weight bullets. Velocity was not my main objective so I wasn't overly dissapointed but a bit surprised that a 165 grain bullet couldn't make it up to 2500 fps with a good dose of Varget or 4064.

Later I tried a Model 660 Mohawk in 222 Remington with the same length barrel once at the range. Even with this low capacity cartridge and 50 grain bullets, the jump and blast (with ear plugs) was more than I wanted for a varmint gun for my interests.

I kept the 22 Hornet w/ 24" barrel and 22-250 w/26" barrel but sold the little carbine. I can only imagine that for a kid shooting a 308 based cartridge in a 16.5" barrel would be a bit intimidating with even more muzzle blast and jump. The 6.8 SPC chambering makes the most sense to me on that platform, but is quite a bit more limited than a 260 or 7mm08 with a 20" barrel, imo.
................YS..........Oh I do understand all about the blast, jump and noise.

One of my friends has an M77 300 RCM Ruger laminated compact with the 16.5" barrel. It basically has the ballistics of a 24" tubed 30-06. We on occasion do some hog hunting together. His son is 10 years old. After some practice and honing the skills with that rifle, he`s a darn expert with that thing. Even shooting max loadings are not a problem for this kid. In fact, he`s fired my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier here and there. To start, his dad started him out on that rifle using "reduced" loadings and worked him up from there. The 300 RCM however, won`t exactly be a good idea for your daughter... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another friend has a Frontier chambered in the 338 Federal. Beginning with reduced loadings as well, his 11 year old son and 9 year old daughter (to start), have also acclaimated themselves well to that rifle. All depends on the individual tolerance levels I suppose.

Surprising that you couldn`t get 2500 fps using a 165 from your shorty 308 M7. Looking in my Sierra manual, N550 gets 2800 fps from a 26" barrel, while 4064 gets to 2750 and Varget is at 2700. You probably had a slower than usual bore. 2500 fps and less is at the least, close to an 11% drop in velocity going from a 26" length down to your 18.5" length.

Including my Frontier, all the chrony results which I and they are getting from our little 16.5" barreled Rugers conclude, that the average velocity retained, is from between 93.2% to 95.7% vs 24" barrels of the same chamberings (338 Fed, 300 RCM, 300 WSM) using the same identical loadings.

Big Squeeze, I'm happy you like your short Rugers. I will not be purchasing one, however. If Ruger decides to make a compact with a 20" barrel, then I will be more than happy. Maybe you can talk to their/your marketing/sales department on my behalf.

YoteSmoker":293115l9 said:
Big Squeeze, I'm happy you like your short Rugers. I will not be purchasing one, however. If Ruger decides to make a compact with a 20" barrel, then I will be more than happy. Maybe you can talk to their/your marketing/sales department on my behalf.
..............YS..............Wasn`t really trying to talk you into one. Only provided some examples to explain that they are suitable for youths .

Sorry, but I`m not an affiliate marketing lap dog for Ruger. So you`ll have to talk to them on your own behalf. :lol:.....Why not just go after a 20" barreled Ruger Ultra-lite? Even though Ruger recently discontinued them this year, I`m sure there are plenty of NIB ULs available in a suitable cartridge for your daughter to handle later on. As I recall, they were offered in the 243 and 7/08.

Back