Ladder Test

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I have always wondered if IMR7828SSC would perform well in a 3006 pushing 180gr bullets. I figure that the compressed charges have teh potential to produce good accuracy and respectable velocities while being consistent and having low Extreme spread and Deviation.

Will be doing a ladder test on my loads using 20 rounds 180gr CT BT with Hornady brass and 210 primers, the following is what I will do. Brass coming in today and bullets will be here Monday.

IMR 7828SSC 61.3grs 2785fps with 22" barrel, 60,000 psi and hope to find a sweet spot 2700fps and above, will see.

1. 61.3,

2. 61.0,

3. 60.7,

4. 60.4,

5. 60.1,

6. 59.8,

7. 59.5,

8. 59.2,

9. 58.9,

10. 58.6,

11. 58.3,

12. 58.0,

13. 57.7,

14. 57.4,

15. 57.1,

16. 56.8,

17. 56.5,

18. 56.2,

19. 55.9,

20. 55.6

Note: I will clean my barrel so I can shoot five fouling loads using IMR7828SCC so the barrel settles down and my Ladder test will be more valid or at least consistent.

Here is a link that explains in detail the "Ladder Process" of developing loads - Incremental Load Development Method (ILDM)
http://www.desertsharpshooters.com/manu ... edload.pdf
http://www.6mmbr.com/laddertest.html

I am watching you!!!!!!

BTW if you want the test to really count shoot at 200 or 300 yards.

FOTIS":1jvnqccc said:
I am watching you!!!!!!

BTW if you want the test to really count shoot at 200 or 300 yards.

I will be shooting at 200yds, can't get to the long range so will settle for the 200yd range.

My brass came in and it is all the same lot. Measured the length of the cases from one of the boxes also the neck thickness just to see where the quality of this brass might be and I am impressed. Looking forward to my load work with it.

file_zps8943bc3a.jpg

I mark the brass. A sharpie is your friend Scott. Then 0000 steel wool, one or 2 passes and it is gone

The brass is 2.9grs difference in high and Low weight. good stuff and I will mark each brass with a felt permanent marker and after firing tumbling removes the marks. Also, will weigh each bullet and will sort brass. Will walk down to mark each target giving my rifle a chance to be as close to cold bore as possible between shots.

SJB358":1msc5mns said:
How do you mark each shot? With a marker on the bullet? Pretty interesting

Scotty,

I mark each shot on a seperate target at the bench. I always use a target with a grid on it so marking exact spot is easy. I just spot each shot with my spotting scope and write the shot number on the target beside me.

I love ladder tests. They have saved me a lot of components and time!

Yeah, think I will use my spotting scope and discipline myself to wait 5 minutes between shots because it should be in the forties next Tuesday and that will work perfect :)

Yeah over here it has been in the sixties..... as in MPH winds

DrMike":1hg822vn said:
FOTIS":1hg822vn said:
Yeah over here it has been in the sixties..... as in MPH winds

Great come back, Fotis. I like that. :grin:

That is not a come back, that is a statement of depression. I mean if I had the wind he talks about as much as he does, I would truly be depressed and so would my lonely rifles waiting to go to the range. :wink:

FOTIS":22pyj418 said:
I mark the brass. A sharpie is your friend Scott. Then 0000 steel wool, one or 2 passes and it is gone

I meant the shots on the paper. I do the same as you with the brass. If it's at 200 yards, that's a bit of back and forth I would think..

ScreaminEagle":1wwreb4y said:
SJB358":1wwreb4y said:

Scotty,

I mark each shot on a seperate target at the bench. I always use a target with a grid on it so marking exact spot is easy. I just spot each shot with my spotting scope and write the shot number on the target beside me.

Got ya. That makes sense.. Sorry fellers, I am slow tonight. I have heard of some color coding each bullet, but Steven, yours makes more sense to me.. Why walk when you can exercise your optics.

SJB358":36tuis4t said:
ScreaminEagle":36tuis4t said:
SJB358":36tuis4t said:

Scotty,

Got ya. That makes sense.. Sorry fellers, I am slow tonight. I have heard of some color coding each bullet, but Steven, yours makes more sense to me.. Why walk when you can exercise your optics.

The only reason I walk at times is to keep the time between shot the same, it keeps me from getting the itch to pull the trigger again. But I am also going to use my scope this time and put a timer on the bench that dings at me when it is time to shoot so I won't keep looking at the clock and wanting to hurry it up. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back