Ky Elk Draw

Dwh7271

Handloader
Nov 18, 2013
I DREW!!!! (y) :grin:
Letter came today. Saw the envelope figured it was the old "gee, sorry but not this year" letter.
Surprise!
Starts off "Congratulations! You've been drawn for the 2016 Kentucky elk hunt and have drawn an at large Anterless Firearms Elk Permit for the first week firearms season, Dec 10-16, 2016.
Needless to say I'm psyched

Dewey,

Congratulations buddy! That is awesome.
What rifle and load are you planning on using?

JD338

Thanks JD!
Geez, haven't figured that out yet. 280 AI, 338-06, 9.3-62 or something else. Wow. Sorry I don't have a better answer!

That's pretty exciting and it's fairly close to home.

I'm under 3 months until the start of my cow elk season and it can't get here soon enough. Actually my wife is going to get a tag for the early cow hunt this year so I can get 2 bull tags but I'm still going. I put her in for a cow moose too and should hear if she drew that in the next week to 10 days.

Congratulations, Dewey! Yeah, I would guess you are on a high! That is fantastic news. What rifle and load are you thinking of using?

Wow, that is outstanding. I've seen two outdoor network shows on Kentucky elk hunting, there are some spectacular Bulls. I know full well the 280AI would do the job, but, what else in Kentucky warrants a 338-06 or a 9.3. Going to be fun keeping up with your scouting reports.

Thanks all!
It's a really tough tag for a NR to draw, so bought a lottery ticket tonight too. :lol:
Just remembered I have a Mashburn barrel on the way so if I can work it up, that may get the nod.

Dewey my friend congratulations :wink: now we get photos & a good hunting story (y)!
Now you are going to have to decide what you are taking to shoot that critter.
Again congratulations.

Blessings,
Dan

Yessir it would. It's fun to shoot too. :grin:
Jake used his on one last fall.

Dwh7271":2xjsusgb said:
Yessir it would. It's fun to shoot too. :grin:
Jake used his on one last fall.

Dewey,

Just imagine lobbing a 286 gr PT into the boiler room on an elk!
Match made in Heaven buddy!

JD338

A 9.3X62 would definitely thump an elk with authority. Oh, yeah, it would definitely get his attention!

Back