Konus spotter

ROVERT

Handloader
Jun 18, 2011
I've had my Konus 20-60x100 for coming up on a year now and have been nothing but impressed with it. It has allowed me to easily view my targets for the last ten months. I only have two hundred yard ranges at my disposal so I haven't been able to really put it to the test during my range sessions.

Today, however, I did something I've been meaning to do for a while. I set a target board up at the edge of a field which is 336 yds from the road. The board contained targets shot by a .223, .270, and .280. At that range, all bullet holes were very easily seen. I walked up the hill on the other side of the road to 401 yds. At that range, all bullet holes were still easily seen. I walked further up the hill to 486 yards, at which point I could go no farther while maintaining line of sight to my target. The .223 bullet holes in the white were still readily resolved. The .223 bullet holes in the orange were getting a little difficult to see, but could still be made out. The .270 and .280 holes were an absolute piece of cake to see.

This spotter has really impressed me, especially considering its price tag. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a scope to use at the range or within close proximity to a vehicle. It's weight and size make it pretty useless as a hunting scope, but for checking targets it's great. When I was researching this purchase, I recall reading a review by a shooter who claimed to be able to resolve .22 cal holes at 600 yds. I chalked it up to exaggeration at the time, but I can see that it may actually be possible to do it with this spotter.

Great review Trevor. Thanks for the report. Sounds like it works pretty well. Have you used it out hunting?

I've used it to watch deer in the fields in the summer, but not for hunting. I really don't have any use for a spotter in the type of hunting I do. As I mentioned, the size and weight of this spotter make it less than ideal for hunting. It does provide a surprisingly useful image in low light at 20x.

No problem, Scotty. It's a great scope for the money... but I don't think it would do so well in a side by side with your spotter.

ROVERT,

Thanks for the field report. Sounds like the Konus spotter has a lot of bang for the buck.

JD338

Thanks for the report.

As my old Konus, a 20-60x80, was knocked to the ground by a club-footed off-spring of a club member , last fall, I have been shopping for a new spotter. I think the 100MM Konus will fill the bill. I have look'd thru both the 80MM and the 100, and I must say the 100 is noticebly brighter thru the range of powers.

Yup, I'm on it :grin: :grin: :grin: !!!!!!!

Back