Just some thoughts on some recent reloading

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
I found a load for my 223 using Nosler 55 grains BTs and Varmint powder.
Years back I bought an RCBS electronic powder trickler to use with my RCBS
electronic scale. I tried it with larger grain stick powder and didn't have good results.
Since Varmint powder is so fine, I decided to try it again. The trickler works by throwing a load with the powder measure that is a little light and then hitting the dispense button on the trickler. It automatically dispenses until the desired weight is reached.
Results were disappointing as the trickler took a long time to dispense, the scale drifted and the variation from load to load was often .1 to .2 grains between loads.
Today I just used my Redding BR powder measure and balance beam scale. The Varmint powder measured very constantly and variation was always less than .1 grain. This old equipment worked a whole lot better and faster than the newer electronic equipment.
Some things don't need to be improved.

My RCBS beam scale is almost 50ys old and I'll match it to ANY of the newer stuff. I can actually measure powder by the granuale !

Gunner46":3708jzij said:
My RCBS beam scale is almost 50ys old and I'll match it to ANY of the newer stuff. I can actually measure powder by the granuale !
Your old RCBS is actually made by Ohaus and will beat the crap out of any of the new stuff.
You have an awesome scale

Back