Jeff wins again!

Woodycreek

Handloader
Aug 2, 2007
Jeff won the Three Forks Tactical Rifle match with the Accuracy International AW in 260 rem.

91AF6140-BC26-4B8D-A555-62E13DD62A52-4547-0000073C8CB66653.jpg

Thanks guys, this was the first match they held there I was happy to be lucky enough to win it.

Twenty four people shot that match, pretty good turn out for a first event. I have noticed alot of people talk a good game but few actually come out and employ their skill set. The course consited of sixty targets from 140 yards "offhand" out to 1205 yards "prone" and pretty much everything in between, shooting off logs, shooting without bipod etc. etc. I have been focusing alot on shooting from sitting and kneeling with sling support lately as it seems if they can put you in a awkward shooting position they will do so. Targets were generally 1-1.5 MOA in relation to distance, there was one meatball target at 700 that had to have been 2-2.5 moa 20" and one tiny target 8" round plate on a fence post at 905 yards. The match was run well despite its maiden voyage. I did bring a buddy i sold my 6.5x47/22x47 switchbarrel and a nightforce to, he finished mid pack which was impressive considering it was his first time and he timed out on four of the five stations. The top three scores were as follows 1st 46 "i shot a 48 but someone shot a target off the carrier, so to make it fair they removed that target from scoring and i.lost 2 points. 2nd was a 42 a girl who shot her butt off and beat 22 guys, and 3rd. was a 36. Lots of top tier equipment out there, i dont think i saw more than one factory rifle, a remington 5R with a leupold mark4 on it. I am glad to.see more of these matches popping up.around here. I have heard rumor of a few guys planning a winter shoot, that will cut into my coyote hunting but should.be.fun.

Great cartridge! I hope to have mine in hand by the fall. It looks as if you've set it up for some serious tacticool shooting, Jeff.

Thanks mike and sask, this is what i will be hunting with this year, a bit heavy but the eberly pack takea a bit of the labor out of it. Mike I have used this .284 "with a different stock" at a few matches this year and I will say that the .284 with the 180 vld is one of the most predictable and accurate rounds i have used. Good luck with yours mike.

I'll assuredly be posting a review once the rifle is in my hands. I do believe the .284 Win cartridge was greatly underrated, no doubt it great measure because of the rifles in which it was introduced.

The .260 is a great and under-rated round in my opinion, but the bottom line is that it takes a great shooter to realize its potential. Congratulations!

Thanks guys, the .260 is a great one and used alot in the precision rifle and tactical matches. 2800 with a 140 vld in the .612 bc range is quite efficient. If I built a sporting rifle strictly for antelope and deer it would either be be a 6.5x47 or a .260. I have owned both and the only reason i went with the .260 is the fact AI doesnt offer it and the .260 feeds better through a detatchable box magazine. Other than that i see no real advantage between them.

A hearty congratulations!

I won't be surprised if my .308 Green Machine becomes a .260 when I'm done with all this law enforcement stuff. It's a great cartridge.

Thats interesting guy, if your efficient with the .308 and you appear to be the .260 will exploit that. I won a benchmark barrel at the match before this in jordan and ordered a 1-9 .308 barrel "heavy palma" that i am going to set up on my 6x47 platform. I will be shooting the .308 at a few matches next year. I dont think your giving up anything with the .308 inside of 700 yards.

Back