Its time to start

I am going to order up that Speer Manual just for a good read. I read over the Nosler book and it has a nice section on reloading, and I found a few YouTube videos about reloading for the beginner.

Oldtrader3":27g1pwt1 said:
Even I learned on Speer back when the loads were engraved were on stone tablets!

Ha! I had to read them off the cave walls, Charlie, holding a torch to read by the flickering light. Man, handling gun powder under those conditions was surely exciting.

It seems a daunting task. I had the RCBS supreme kit for several months before I began reloading--just because I am very found of my fingers. Just be sure to take your time. If you know someone whom reloads, and you trust, I would ask them to let you watch them work completely through a reloading process--resizing, trimming, etc. Sure wish that I had, had that. But you can certainly do it. Oh yes, don't forget to have fun.

I'm new to reloading too so here are some of my initial thoughts:

-Speer Manual (with the Rock Chuckar kit) & Nosler manual are both great for learning,

-spend some time dry running your set up before you bolt anything to a table/bench

-ask the questions that you have on the forum as I am less than 6 months into reloading so your question might be the same as someone else who just hasn't asked it yet and this is one of the few forums that you will get good info without being belittled by the "i've been doing that since i was 6 years old" crowd

- watch some videos on youtube, not saying every reloader on youtube is worthwhile but I have found some answers and tips via youtube searches

- start with SAAMI specs on a low load until you are comfortable with what is going on before you try to decipher different seating depths & charges

i had someone help me get started but those were pretty much the things he had me do and I have buggered some stuff up but then I come online figure out if it's safe to continue or just chuck something to go on the side of caution

Back