Is the 6.5 PRC that much better than the 6.5rem. mag?

Given a rifle that you can seat the bullet out like the 6.5 PRC the 6.5 RM would be just as good. Looking at Nosler's data for them they are pretty much equal.

Better is a relative or subjective thing here...and is going to be determined by the individual and the rifle platform that they are choosing for the chosen cartridge.
Same could be said for the 6.5x284 Norma...except that some may argue to get the most comparable results, the 6.5 x284 should be in a long action to seat the bullet out further so as to not intrude on case capacity.
This is similar as well to the 260 Rem/6.5CM scenario, whereas the 6.5 Swede cannot be fit into a short action.

As for availability, with the PRC being the newer cartridge, and the fact that only one manufacturer has built a rifle on 6.5 Rem Mag in a limited number in the past 40 or so years...the win will go to the PRC as manufacturers get caught up again after the COVID-19 and subsequent supply chain issues. The same can be said for the Creedmoor...although the components for the Swede shouldn't be too hard to come by as the cartridge has been around for over a century.

As a lefty, I have eventually gotten around to buying/building LH rifles in 6.5x55, 6.5 CM, and 6.5PRC, but also owned a lh 6.5x284 (just wasn't as happy with the rifle platform). If I recall correctly, I have only ever seen one rifle chambered in the 6.5 RM in person, and seen a couple more that others have posted pics of. As I was looking more into the LH Rem 700s I didn't pay too much attention to the 600/660/673 rifles. And as I like the performance that the smaller case 6.5s give, I haven't ventured into the larger cased versions as yet...but who knows what the future will bring!

At the end of the day, they are all great cartridges! Choose the one that tickles your particular fancy and desires and have fun!
There really is no wrong answer!
The 6.5's are just plain fun to load, shoot and hunt with!

I own 300 and 6.5 PRC (love them both). I have shot REM Mag cartridges for the last many years, with much success. IMO-the beltless mag. cartridges do provide an edge of increased performance over belted mag's. The belted mag's are headspaced off the belt vs. off the shoulder. In my experience, the belted mag's are more finicky with accuracy and tend to offer less case life (with Lapua or Norma brass). I have switched over to the PRC's and other beltless cartridges and been happy.

I own 300 and 6.5 PRC (love them both). I have shot REM Mag cartridges for the last many years, with much success. IMO-the beltless mag. cartridges do provide an edge of increased performance over belted mag's. The belted mag's are headspaced off the belt vs. off the shoulder. In my experience, the belted mag's are more finicky with accuracy and tend to offer less case life (with Lapua or Norma brass). I have switched over to the PRC's and other beltless cartridges and been happy.
I learned long ago to pretend the belt is not there to get longer case life, I always set my sizer die so the cartridge headspaced off the shoulder.

I had a Remington 673 Guide rifle in 6.5mm Rem Mag about 20 years ago. It was a fun cartridge to mess with. The 130 gr AB was quite effective on deer. Never had the chance to play with the 6.5 PRC...yet.
I think the PRC would be a better option due to brass availability.

JD338

I remember your 6.5 RM, Jim. I thought it was an interesting cartridge. If I had found one, I suspect that based on your posts I would have bought it.

The game changer between the two is the fast RPM in the PRC.
how many times have we saw this in the past?
244 went to 6mm due to a twist change
223 went from a standard 12 twist to 9
22-250 went from a 14 twist to 9
270 WSM went to 6.8 western with a twist change
beginning to think either the makers are just now learning about twists or its all a big scam to convince us to buy the current offerings with more expensive components.

or just more available? near as I can tell they are almost equal as far as ballistics.
Not enough difference to make a difference.
The "difference" is all of the available quality brass for the 6.5 PRC.

I have some new 6.5 SAUM/GAP4S brass (Hornady) and GAP/SAUM dies that I am going to move, simply because I am going to the PRC

I had a Remington 673 Guide rifle in 6.5mm Rem Mag about 20 years ago. It was a fun cartridge to mess with. The 130 gr AB was quite effective on deer. Never had the chance to play with the 6.5 PRC...yet.
I think the PRC would be a better option due to brass availability.

JD338
20 Years AGO!!! No way! Couldn't have been that long ago was it Jim.. Seems like just the other day you got that sucker!

I have a 6.5 PRC, I tend to think of it as a 270 that shoots a bit sleeker bullets.

Back