In two days...

runtohunt

Handloader
Mar 7, 2012
My family and I leave for the land of Fotis! This will be my fourth year hunting for antelope up by Gillette. After finishing the antelope hunt, we head for norther Ca up by Alturas for mule deer. The wife and kids will be with me for the first three days of mule deer then I have 6 days on my own to find a toad. I plan to make the mule deer portion of the hunt an all or nothing situation since I have waited 5 long years for this hunt. Lots of preparation getting this trip together. I can't wait to get started. And the best part, off of work for three weeks.

For sure, we'll all be pulling for you to connect! Best of luck to you. It is neat that your family will be able to share a portion of this hunt with you.

Thanks guys. I am very much looking forward to taking the Nosler rifle in 280 AI with 160 ABs and blooding her. I hope that my son is with me when I find the big Mulie. He has only seen smallish deer up till now. We have been shooting up in the hills every day that we are off whacking milk jugs and ringing steel at 325 yards off of the shooting sticks!

Three weeks off has recharged by battery. I always look forward to the Wy trip with the family. This year was a little different in that I had a Nosler Profession in .280 AI that needed to be blooded. My wife and I took 6 antelope (2 bucks and four does) during our hunt in Gillette. The night before our arrival Gillette, it snowed 18". Traveling the ranch that we hunt was difficult to say the least. We were unable to access the majority of the ranch the first day of our hunt since we could not drive past the gate to get onto the ranch. My wife was less than enthusiastic about traversing the snow laden hills after a morning hike with no antelope spotted. I think that snow shoes would have been most appropriate although my Muck Boots were adequate. The snow in this area must be fairly dry by day two of our stay the snow was almost non-existant.
IMG_2931.JPG
IMG_2955.jpg

The second portion of the trip involved a stay in norther Ca for a week. The wife and kids stayed with me for the first three days after which the kids needed to return back home. During the first three days we saw 3-4 dozen does one nice 3x3 mule deer (that I opted not to shoot after staring at him in the cross hairs for 4-5 minutes), and a tremendous jet-black black bear that was 300++ pounds. Only saw the black bear for a few seconds. He beat cheeks out of the territory before I could even shoulder my rifle.

Unfortunately, my son was not there for the taking of the forky mule deer that I eventually killed on day 5. My seven year old boy and I hiked and glassed about 6 hours every morning. He was a champ! On day five I finally found a the second buck that I figured might be my last chance. While not a "trophy" 4x4, he is my first mule deer and I am proud of him.
IMG_3061.JPG

On day six, I figured that I would try to find the monster black bear and lucked into a nice black bear that walked almost into me. I shot him from forty yards. He rolled twice and got back up again. As he was running through the trees, I shot him again. He fell over and I thought that he might be done, but he got up again and began running. Since he was running to the rim of a canyon, I shot him one more time (close to a Texas heart shot). He gave his death moan. and it was over. The first shot entered between the ninth and tenth rib and exited with a 1.5 inch hole. He should have been dead, but he did not know it. The second shot pinned him through the hips. The 160 grain AB shattered both hips and was found just under the skin. The third shot traversed the entire length of the body and was found two inches under his chin. I am in love with this rifle/bullet combo.
IMG_3114.JPG

A superb hunt made that much better by the presence of your family for a goodly portion. Great pictures of some fine game. Congratulations!

AWESOME hunt and excellent family! Now that is a great hunt! Way to go buddy. That 280 is very much broken in now!

I'm lost for words, what a great expeirence to be able to share with family. Good looking animals and good shooting.

Thank you. The only thing that would have made this trip better would have been to have my oldest son with me when I shot the buck. He has been on a lot of deer hunting hikes and have been close to a lot of does but never a buck. He was disappointed to not have been there for the kill. I have a wonderful family and love sharing my passion for the outdoors with each of them.

Thanks RTH for the story & photos :wink: it looks like that Nosler 280AI is just what the doctor ordered. I am sure glad that you were able to take your family along for a part of your hunt. I hope that you enjoy the rest of your time off.

Blessings,
Dan

Yeah, that death bawl is a relieving sound. The picture with your kiddos is the best. Congratulations. Great cartridge, great rifle and great hunt!

And I like your taste in pickups, too. :)

Yes, an excellent family hunt!

Pronghorn, mule deer & black bear... A real good looking bear as well. Congratulations!

Guy

runtohunt":ic8iz985 said:
Thank you. The only thing that would have made this trip better would have been to have my oldest son with me when I shot the buck. He has been on a lot of deer hunting hikes and have been close to a lot of does but never a buck. He was disappointed to not have been there for the kill. I have a wonderful family and love sharing my passion for the outdoors with each of them.
Great pictures of your family hunts.
Your success together will come and when it does it is fantastic.
I deer hunted several times with my son and never saw a buck, then when he was 14 yrs old he shot his first buck. WOW was that exciting. I was more excited than he was. Congratulations!

Thank you. In some ways, not getting a buck right away is a very good thing for my son and myself. It is an excellent lesson in patience. We have our "easy" hunts as well with the antelope. But the time that we spend together is priceless no matter what happens.

Back