If you're looking to hunt some lions....

So half their transplanted sheep are dead?

Moving them into mountain lion habitat?

I hope they're not surprised, it was a "feed the lions" project. The biologists and the sheep just didn't know it! :mrgreen:

I've got a great photo (not mine) of a lion taking down a bighorn sheep. Didn't look like it was hard for the lion... If I can find it, I'll post it.

We've got lions and rams here, close to town. Somehow the sheep have figured out how to survive.

Regards, Guy

Both of them are pretty awesome animals. Hope the sheep figure out how to move to high ground as them cats are about the slickest predators in North America.

Guy Miner":3x2nrw55 said:
So half their transplanted sheep are dead?

Moving them into mountain lion habitat?

I hope they're not surprised, it was a "feed the lions" project. The biologists and the sheep just didn't know it! :mrgreen:

I've got a great photo (not mine) of a lion taking down a bighorn sheep. Didn't look like it was hard for the lion... If I can find it, I'll post it.

We've got lions and rams here, close to town. Somehow the sheep have figured out how to survive.

Regards, Guy

Yes, the mortality rate is that high. Most of the kills have been rams, I believe only two are left. The previous herd in the Catalina Mtns. died out in the mid 90s. Habitat loss and poor predator management were the primary causes. While I think it is a great idea to reintroduce and grow the Bighorn population all over the state, they should have taken out the lions prior to the release. All the treehuggers are freaking out because they're killing lions and the hunters are pissed because our most rare game species has become cat fodder. It's quite the situation. Dogs are also prohibited from the recovery zone so the most effective way for hunters to help is also out of the question. I hope the herd survives but at this point it's not looking good. Check out the link below, it's pretty cool how they catch those pesky sheep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUbhQCRObO8

This is tweaking me off as it's in my backyard.
Hunting in the area they released the lions is nigh impossible, State Park, and folks are surprised that the lions are eating the sheep? Good Lord what do these nincompoops expect, that they will sit down to tea and crumpets together?
They need to change the laws and allow hunters to go in and thin out the lions. They are thick as thieves in that area and the sheep will just help to perpetuate that. By allowing hunting the state would also generate revenue. I talked to a G&F employee in on the first lion kill. To sum it up, hard hunt and they were "hunted out" as they say by the time they got the first lion down.
AZ is thick with mountain lions. Come and help us think some out. The season is year long and some units allow more than one per year. I'd like to see the sheep thrive in the area as it is their old habitat and it's nice to have such a beautiful, and rare, species so close to home. I remember them as a kid growing up in the area and it's been too long since they've run those peaks.
Why is it OK to introduce wolves and not sheep is what I want to ask the eco-freaks.?

Vince

Thought you guys might appreciate these photos. They were supposedly snapped by someone on a boat her on Lake Roosevelt, which is really just a wide spot in the Columbia River. We have quite the population of both bighorn sheep and cougar, and some of the photos I saw in the series had quite a bit of water in them, so I have no trouble believing that. But who knows?

That cat looks all business to me, like he knows exactly how to take down and kill the ram. Wish I'd taken these photos. Just grabbed them off the 'net a few years back.

Guy

Back