Ideal Elk Rifle

Taylorforce each one of those is a great rifle, excellent cartridges, and well thought out scopes on each one. I imagine they are a pleasure to shoot and to hunt with!! Nice job.
David

Taylorce 1 nice rifles they look top shelf Bud, I cannot wait until you post a good hunting story with photos using anyone of those great looking rigs.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks guys for the compliments on these rifles. The only one that was planned was the .338-06, the others just kind of fell together. There was a forth ideal elk rifle in there, but I never did care for the .280. The 06 wears the scope off of that rifle. However, the young man who got the .280 will enjoy it for many years to come. Here is the story on the .280 Rem: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... ost6451544

Taylorce... what does the .270 weigh with the Edge FWT stock?

I'm liking that setup!

Taylorce1 - I've got to agree with everyone else, those are great looking rifles. Am particularly intrigued with the .338-06.... Seems like an ideal elk rifle for sure!

Seems like there is a common consensus that yes, we all know elk can and are taken in droves by standard "deer rifles" yet there's still a strong liking for the medium bores, up over .30 cal a bit... I think it's mostly an excuse to own a "bigger" rifle - but I'll take it and run with that excuse, you bet! :grin:

Dang, I hope I get to spend some time hunting elk this fall!

Regards, Guy

hodgeman":3pi8dsnr said:
Taylorce... what does the .270 weigh with the Edge FWT stock?

I'm liking that setup!

.30-06 is 7 lbs 1 oz with 5 rounds (ADL style stock) of 165 grain down and an Allen nylon speed sling.

.338-06 is 8 lbs 9 oz with 6 rounds of 200 grain down and the same sling.

.270 is 7 lbs 13 oz with 6 rounds of 130 grain and the Allen sling.

There isn't a real heavyweight in the bunch.

Sounds just about perfect fit for them all. That 338 sounds just right!

Lasermark 270 Weatherby anchors them where they stand. Last falls was 372 yards and dropped like a rock. Bullet was 140 grain Hornady boattail launched with a heavy charge of Reloader 22 and WLRM primer.

Close range: Savage 99 in 300 Savage (165 PTs)

Mid Range: Winchester Model 70 30-06 (165 AB or PT)

Long Range: Winchester Model 70 300 WSM (180 or 200 grain AB)

If I could only have one- the 30-06, period.

Years ago I went elk hunting in Colorado. My friend and I were staying my uncle who was acting as guide for us. However, we ended up drawing tags in different units. So, my uncle arranged for his friend, a old local trapper, to act as a guide for my friend. I was very excited to meet this local trapper and hunter and learn all about how he "did it". He told me he shot a bull elk about every year. When I asked what caliber rifle he used he replied, "a .243 Winchester". Astonished, I asked why he used a .243. He answered, "Because that is what I have."

Which ever rifle I have in my hands during the hunt!! :mrgreen:
I have killed three elk with the Sako 75 in 300 wsm. One elk with a 30-378 Roy in an Accumark. One elk with a 257 Roy in an ultralight. I really wanted to hunt with my 7mm STW but for some reason my accuracy always falls apart with this rifle right before hunting season.
On a couple of shooting trips before the season begins, I take these four rifles out and shoot them off of the sticks out to 400 yards. The rifle that makes hits on the 10" steel gong consistently is the one that makes the trip. The Sako has made all of the trips even if it was a back up.

I've got two I really like. The first is my fathers custom .308 Winchester. Shoots 168 grain TSX 1/2 MOA and was the rifle I used to shoot my first big game animal at 412 yards. It's light (relatively at 10.5 lbs), accurate and fun to shoot.

My second rifle is my custom .300 win mag. I've been hunting large canyons and getting in closer than 400 yards can be hard, 600 yard shots are the norm where I like to hunt. So I wanted a rifle that could really reach out and touch something past 800 yards. It weighs 14.5 lbs but it is proving to be a tack driver with my new barrel and 215's at 2,885 fps.

Attachments

• group.jpg
    group.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 1,512
  • Thumper copy.jpg
    Thumper copy.jpg
    855.7 KB · Views: 1,512
Very nice! That's a very cool rifle. Tailor made for your hunting. I like that alot!

Back