Hybrid-100

super-7

Handloader
Jun 27, 2009
Been in touch with Hodgdon customer service as my supply of this powder was down to 1 pound. I had heard it was discontinued , fortunately this is not the case.
They suspended production of this powder for a short time because of demand for a few other powders, but with the demand tapering off Hybrid-100 was put back into production.
They said availability in the US will be very good. And may be a bit tougher here in Canada, he left me a list of there Canadain distributors .
Overall I am pleased with the customer service, and happy one of my favorite powders for the 243,& 6mm are not going the way of the dodo. Looks like I need to be tracking down a couple 8lb ers .

Hybrid 100 is an overlooked powder in many cartridges. It didn't bring dramatically different results so far as velocity in a number of cartridges, but it did produce some fine accuracy loads. It has proven valuable for me with some loads in my 300 WSM and in my 280 Rem. I believe it will prove valuable in quite a range of cartridges as I continue to experiment. Glad to hear that though the source has dried up somewhat, it is not completely finished. I notice that Rusty Wood Trading Co. has it in stock at the present (http://www.rustywood.ca/powder.html)

How is it with temperature spikes? I would like to try it in my 300wsm but was Leary due to reading it was very sensitive.

I was loading it for my 280. Accuracy & velocity was very good but I found it pretty spikey as far as temp sensitivity goes. The couple of very unscientific tests I did showed a pretty good jump in velocity when shot in warmer temps. I don't have my notes in front of me but I seem to remember a 200-300 fps jump when temperatures went from around 40* (which is the temp I did my initial load development) to 80*. Like I said...that test wasn't in the most controlled environment, but it was enough to make me want to switch.

I ended up selling the 3 or 4 pounds I had and switched to IMR-4451 which has shown to be a little more temp stable in my experience.

I used it some in a 300 WSM with 165's and 243's with 95's. Worked very nice in both of those.

I used it to try out a load for a 300 wsm with 180 gr. ABs for a friend with good results. Another friend decided to use it for his wsm and found a good load during the cooler months. The next summer he shot the same load from the same lot of powder and found signs of a fairly significant pressure increase as well as increased velocity. If you're willing to develop cool weather and warm weather loads, it's a very accurate powder.

That's good to know. It's my backup powder for when / if I'm out of RL17.

Back