Hunting Rifle Triggers

G

I'm curious as to what weight Trigger Pull most of you have on your Hunting Rifles.
My 30-06 is set at 3lbs. The 300 Ultra Mag is set at 2.5 lbs. Haven't measured the 35 Whelen to date, it has a little travel in it, but smooth. These are all Remington Factory Triggers.

Don

I set most of my hunting rifles to between 2.5 and 3.0 pounds pull weight. That gives a good weight, but not so light that I'll trip them when wearing winter gear.

I've said this many times, but I'll say it again. All of mine are set to match the very crisp, 3.25lb trigger on the old Belgium-made 243Win Browning BAR I inherited from my dad. I've found that 3.25lbs is near perfect, as long as it breaks like glass. That's the real issue for hunting rifles, rather than weight. I've adjusted triggers for people when they've screwed them up royally (to the point they're not safe) and they all say the same thing, "How'd you get it so light? I couldn't get it down that light. What do I owe you for the spring?" I never have the heart to tell them I actually set it heavier than they had it, just with the proper sear engagement. I don't charge for the "spring" they think I put in, either. I've shied away from adjusting other folks' triggers over the past few years, just out of fear of lawsuits. I will still take one up to much heavier weight and put a ton of sear into it if a friend has screwed one up. Occasionally I re-adjust the same trigger multiple times and eventually send the owner after a Timney or an insured gunsmith after the second or third re-adjustment.

I am with Mike. All of mine are between 2.5 and 3lbs. I really like the M70 triggers and when they are adjusted right, seem to be my favorite. My M700's have a decent trigger as well. Dubyam hit it on the head though, a properly tuned trigger doesn't need to be super light to be useful. Creep kills me. Scotty

Thanks for the replies. The 35 Whelen trigger is something my dad set up, he has always shot his guns that way and I'm ok with it for now. Seems I'm in the pool with some of my Nosler Brothers on trigger set up.

Good Hunting to everyone this year,

Don

I am a little late on this but I have had the trigger all done to 2.5 to 3lbs. I am having the new one set at 3lbs as I have never shot a Shilen trigger. I been told that they are as good as any.

Blessings,
Dan

I am in this a little late as well but I also decide on trigger weight based on trigger break and creep. Of course the minimum engagement of the sear aways being met for safety is the most important criteria. Most of my rifles are set between about 2-1/4 and 3 pounds, if adjustable for pull. Some of my other rifles and rimfires are not. I usually go a little lower for triggers which have some creep.

I frequently shoot with gloves...I prefer a little heavier than 3lbs, about 3.5 is right but its got to be crisp.

A spongy, light trigger is about as bad and sometimes worse than an overly heavy but crisp one.

Creep kills me

I am in that same class. I have a couple set around three pounds, but more at 4 or so. Weight is not as big of factor when let off is crisp. I am creep free or get a new trigger. My elk rifle has the heavest trigger I have, but no creep.

Mine are 2 - 2.5 lbs. I have one that is a Jewell at 1.0 lb. That gun will not have a round in the chamber unless on stand.

The Kraut who last worked on mine set it at about 5 pounds with a meaty 2-stage pull but a crisp break at an arsenal somewhere in Germany, probably while dodging the odd bomb. Everybody says I should get a timney, I disagree.

I like my hunting triggers a bit on the stiff side. No surprises when wearing heavy gloves that way. I like the 2 stage military pull. I also like the accutrigger... A lot.... Much fuss is made about über-light trigger pulls. I think so long as your break is crisp and consistent and you practice, a heavier pull is just fine. You're not punching paper from a bench, you're carrying a deadly weapon around in the outdoors. A little extra safety margin is a good thing.

I hunt with triggers from 1.5oz Jewell's to 1.5lb tuned factory triggers. Lighter triggers are more accurate no matter what anyone says. There is less shooter induced error.

The most important thing is having something that you are comfortable and confident with. It's an opinion and I'm sure everyone has one. I know I do a factory 700 trigger is hands down better than a factory 77 trigger but if you go to a mauser with a custom timmney with an 6 oz pull and aren't comfortable and confident in it you won't shoot any better.

I won't argue that, all other things being equal, a lighter trigger is generally "better" than a heavier trigger for sheer accuracy. But in a hunting rifle there are other considerations that might limit the useful trigger weight to a higher range. In the areas I hunt, carrying a rifle with a 1.5lb trigger would border on high risk, even with all the safety precautions we take (no finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot, carrying with an empty chamber and a full magazine, know your target and beyond, etc.). Too much brush, thick gloves, and opportunity for an unintentional discharge or a premature discharge in the face of a big buck through the woods. To each his own, obviously, but for me, a hunting trigger is going to be heavier than a pure accuracy trigger.

And, for the record, I don't have any problem with my 3.25lb triggers producing excellent accuracy at the range, either. I might get another .1" shrink with a lighter trigger, but I might not.

dubyam":21w44c1j said:
I won't argue that, all other things being equal, a lighter trigger is generally "better" than a heavier trigger for sheer accuracy. But in a hunting rifle there are other considerations that might limit the useful trigger weight to a higher range. In the areas I hunt, carrying a rifle with a 1.5lb trigger would border on high risk, even with all the safety precautions we take (no finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot, carrying with an empty chamber and a full magazine, know your target and beyond, etc.). Too much brush, thick gloves, and opportunity for an unintentional discharge or a premature discharge in the face of a big buck through the woods. To each his own, obviously, but for me, a hunting trigger is going to be heavier than a pure accuracy trigger.

And, for the record, I don't have any problem with my 3.25lb triggers producing excellent accuracy at the range, either. I might get another .1" shrink with a lighter trigger, but I might not.

I wasn't implying that everyone needs a super light trigger for hunting. Where I hunt for deer we don't have thick brush and very rarely is it a situation where I jump deer. Most of my early deer hunting is 8-10,000'. When I carry a rifle with a 1.5oz Jewell it doesn't have a round in the chamber. I have no problems with a 1 1/2lb trigger in the woods and never have. Granted our thick stuff isn't like most of the east or Pacific Northwest unless your crawling around the river bottoms. If I'm doing that it's for birds not deer or elk.

Most people are surprised at how much more accurate a rifle is with a light trigger until they try one and get use to it. If your not shooting long range or trying to squeak every little bit of accuracy out of it then there is no need.

I started this thread just to see where everyone else is concerning their triggers. Bottom line, shoot with what you feel is comfortable for your given Hunting situation. I have experienced better groups while bench shooting with a lighter trigger. We all know bench shooting and Hunting shooting can be different. I respect the opinions of all stated. FWIW I have always shot with a thin glove on my shooting hand, even with a 2.5lb trigger! They are still just as dead with or with out the glove. :mrgreen:

Happy Hunting everyone,
Don

Back