How much brass is enough?

ksubuck

Handloader
Jun 25, 2014
Usually my wife asks me how many rifles I really need. Tonight I got a change up pitched my way. How many pieces of brass do I need? Gee, honey. I don't know.

How much brass do you guys think someone should have for the average hunting rifle? She will never convince me I have too much 223/5.56, but 500 7 rem mag cases? When and where did I pick all of those up?

I go through withdrawal whenever I have less than 200 pieces for any cartridge. Yeah, I probably have at least 500 pieces of brass for my 7mm RM. I sell off excess brass from time-to-time, but won't let it drop below 200 pieces of new brass.

G'Day Fella's,

ksubuck, man you need to just suggest to your wife-"How many pairs of shoes do you really need"?

Hope that helps........?

Doh!
Homer

HomerOz":1dbwcc3w said:
G'Day Fella's,

ksubuck, man you need to just suggest to your wife-"How many pairs of shoes do you really need"?

Hope that helps........?

Doh!
Homer

That might come with a rope.

nvbroncrider":33xdlj7r said:
HomerOz":33xdlj7r said:
G'Day Fella's,

Hope that helps........?

Doh!
Homer

That might come with a rope.
Boy howdy that was a loaded question! I like the response Russ had.

You can never have too much brass.
I just picked up some R-P 280 Rem for my 280AI.
I have 300 new 338 RUM so I will never run out. :)

JD338

200 pieces of brass for a magnum rifle will outlast the barrel unless you load them to unreasonably high levels.
It isn't unusual for me to get about 7 reloads out of my brass, occasionally more. That would be 1,400 reloads (or more) before I needed additional brass.

.45 ACP = piles and piles of the stuff.
All other handgun cartridges - maybe a couple of hundred each. Probably 400+ .38's hanging around. Used to have more.

.375 H&H = have a crazy amount for that cartridge. Probably 500 or so... More than I'll ever need, including a whopping big ol' box of new ones that I've never gotten into. 200+ in there as I recall. Bought it from someone here a couple of years ago.

.308 Win = oh yeah, probably a thousand pieces of brass. I like to shoot the .308 Win.

.223 & .204 Ruger have quite a few as well. Time to time I go kind of crazy about varmint shooting. Not like some though!

The other hunting rifles suffer with only 200 each, or so, I'd guess.

Guy

I usually buy 100 of each caliber at a time. That way I can control replacement and rotate brass, still remembering when I bought it.

I think that question is based on perspective. I built this pistol brass hopper taller than I'll ever need, but it looks bleak, like I am almost out. No question has been asked,,,

fe98a65fef5c2aa1455c41e1eb212e57.jpg

Yeah, totally depends on what kind of brass. But for a 7mm RM, 500 pieces is probably enough to last you the life of your barrel.

There is no such thing as too much brass.
Each hunting rifle should have 5,000 rounds already loaded before you worry about too much brass.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I am a minimalist when it comes to brass. I know that I have more 45 ACP than any other cartridge. I have more 308 than any other (400) and the least would be the .350 RM. Suprisingly I probably have only a couple hundred .223 brass.

Varmint calibers mean 2,000+, big game rifles about 500. Handguns, well, let's just say "buckets".

Thanks for the replies. I shouldn't mislead, my wife is wonderful about all of my crazy purchases. She asked because she couldn't believe I have a cupboard filed with brass and I told her I was still short on a few cartridges.

Glad to hear I am not insane. I thought 500 7RM would defiantly outlast the barrel.

Back