How many just neck size new brass and how many FL new brass?

coyotetrapper

Beginner
Feb 9, 2007
I just neck size new winchester brass load and fire and only FL or partial after loading gets harder. Just wondering what others do?

I always neck size new brass and then square it up on my RCBS case trimmer.

JD338

I usually FL new brass and then trim it to lenght. A pet peve of mine, just to get the round consistent and make sure the shoulders are all in the same spot for the first loading - probably unecisary as is most of what I do lol!

Hah, with new brass:

Full length size, flash hole deburr, primer pocket ream, trim to length, chamfer case mouth, prime, load seat bullet.

Neck size after firing until it dont fit no more... Keeping an eye on oal..

Rod

If ya wanna get technichal, I FL, tumble in corncob to get rid of any lube, then run it through the gauntlet prep center (RCBS: flash hole, outside neck, primer uniforer, inside VLD, burr brush).
Then sort by weight for working up loads (just to make sure there is only one variable at a time).

I started neck turning for my 22-250 because it seems to help with the bullet runout so in that case I necksize, turn necks, tumble to get rid of any metal shavings, FL, tumble again, then do the rest of the routine.

I am considering turning my 30 cal necks too???

Since new brass is normally on the small side, never had a new case that wouldn't fit a chamber, I neck size, chamfer and load.Rick.

New brass gets neck sized, then trimmed to square the mouths, uniform & deburr primer pockets and load.

Does anyone use the nosler brass? What would you do to these. I use regular remington for the .260 because the nosler are so high but I got a good deal on a couple boxes for the 30-06 and since I didn't have any yet. In my limited experience with them it looks like you could get away with just neck sizing and loading. They seem to be very consistant length.

I use the Lee neck collet dies for everything I own except for my 300 rum and 416 Bee. That is because lee will not make these dies in these calibers.

This is what i do with new brass.
Expand necks with neck expanding die.
Trim to same length.
Turn the necks just enough to clean them up, more its a tight neck chamber.
Re cut the primer pockets.
De burr the inside flash hole.
Weight sort.
FL re size in a Redding Bushing Die.
Now is it worth it, i think so, i try to get everything out a barrel that i can.
O well, I'm retired an have plenty of time on my hands and you have to have something to do each day.
Besides, i couldn't sleep at night if i didn't do it that way and some of us old men have to have our naps. :wink:

Back