HORNADY GMX BULLETS

Rem Jim

Handloader
Jan 7, 2012
Hi - Hey whats your opinion and experience of the HORNADY GMX bullets :?: Thks

Cheers RJ

I'm not a fan of them but I'm not fond of monolithic bullets of any sort.
If I had to use a monolithic bullet I'd opt for the Barnes. There may come a day when lead core bullets are no more. When that day comes I'll have to look for something else. I think all copper bullets have a place in certain applications, maybe, but tend to be a little more traditional in my taste until all the "bugs" have been worked out in something new. I still consider the monolithic bullets "new".
If that's all your rifle shoots, as I consider bullet placement to be of first importance, then use them.

Great success last year for elk and the year before for whitetail in my partner's 300 RCM. One shot kills at 260 and 305 yards. And, they are very accurate.

I would not hesitate to use them.

My buddy uses them on deer and elk with much success from his 300 WSM.

They shot great for me in my 7mm Wby.

CAM00073_zps69769c6b.jpg

GMX bullets perform very well. In monolithics, I shoot Barnes (mostly TSX), Nosler ETips and Hornady GMX. Each has accounted for game in various cartridges and each performed pretty much as expected. Each is capable of excellent accuracy.

I had already started playing with Nosler E-tips, and liked them. Good accuracy and it killed both of the whitetail bucks that I shot with them (even recovered the bullets).

Last year out of nostalgia, I decided to see how well the Hornady Monoflex bullet for the .30/30 worked. It was my first rifle, and it sounded like a fun project. The bullet for the .30/30 is a 140 grain spire point boat tail with a flexible tip. I tried it with the new Leverevolution powder, and got groups under an inch with a 2.75X scope at 100 yards. That sounded good to me, so I carried it last fall. I fired one shot at a 10 point whitetail at about 35 yards - dropped him in his tracks. In this case the bullet went right on through, so no after the shot photos. Sample size is small (n=1), but I'm happy with them so far.

Joel

I've used them in the 7mm RM , 139 gr gmx & ramshot magnum powder with fed 215 primers. I've used it since '10 and have been happy with them . I shot my biggest Wt to date with them 1 shot at right around 400 anchored him. This past season I shot a meat buck the last day at a similar distance with same results, he ran 15 yrds and tipped over. They open up more like a rose bud the. The classic tsx 4 petal. So they penetrate a bit less IMHO and they don't peel back quite as far.

883E0056-9B2E-470F-9859-0F91872F21E4-2894-00000EBE9EACF008.jpg

Coupled w/ Hunter they do beautifully well in my 257 AI on paper, though I've yet to test terminal performance:

P1420109.jpg

I don't have pictures but i shot some of the 45 cal GMX bullets out of my 45-70 into a bunch of wood blocks and they performed well -decent penetration and expaned very nicely ! I also shot some 325 FTX bullets into the same wood - not as much penetration and the bullet torn up -some very badley i would use the GMX over the FTX anyday ! A far superior bullet ! JMO RJ

I have some to try 139 gr ers to try in my 7MM Rem mag and i have orderd some 250 Gr 375 's to try out in my 375 H&H . RJ

I think GS custom is the ONLY perfected monolithic bullet IMO.

Back