Hodgdon SUPERFORMANCE

Rem Jim

Handloader
Jan 7, 2012
Hey any of you guys Play with Hodgdon SUPERFORMANCE powder in any of your Cartridges ?

If so please tell us your results :grin:

Cheers :) RJ

I tried it in 30-06 under a 175 grain Berger bullet...terrible results...I think a magnum primer might work better, but haven't tried it as of yet....been meaning to try it in 243 also, but haven't done that either.

I've been wondering how it might work in 280AI too...

Both Hornady and Hodgdon have been somewhat unhelpful (not very forthcoming) with data for this powder. Speaking with both Hornady and with Hodgdon techs, they are adamant that the powder has quite narrow applications. Hornady techs informed me that they actually uses a number of Superformance powders to produce their various loads, this one being one of several. Consequently, the hand loader who strays beyond the published data needs to know that he/she is venturing into a rather dark unknown. For the experienced and cautious hand loader, it is likely no more dangerous than the first ventures into surplus powders following the Second World War; for the unwary, it has the potential to produce some rather nasty surprises. With the surfeit of new powders that are being released in recent years, I haven't felt the pressure to experiment with this particular powder or with LeverEvolution, though I've used both in selected projects.

Dr mike....did you get the feeling from talking to those sources that superformance would be dangerous to use outside their data....or that it wouldnt provide extra speed?
I was reading up on it elsewhere a while back and someone posted that they had a fair number of cartridges listed in their annual reloading magazine/pamphlet but when you go online only a few are now listed.
I'm the proud owner of some of this powder...kind of wish I hadn't bought it but I've spent $25 more foolishly lol!

The language was couched in such a manner as to protect the company from culpability should there be a catastrophic pressurization of a cartridge. However, upon some probing, it was apparent that the burn rates were such that the powder released has limited utility. To be certain, in thirty calibre cartridges, the powder is inferior for use with heavier bullets. It does appear that it has a burn rate and profile that provides a good velocity within a narrow weight range within a given calibre.

Its BURN rate as i can find is Slower then I expected and being Slower then H4831 or there abouts ! I wonder as it is a Sperical powder is it WW780 :?: Hmm ? :shock: RJ

Rem Jim":o8a828sg said:
Its BURN rate as i can find is Slower then I expected and being Slower then H4831 or there abouts ! I wonder as it is a Sperical powder is it WW780 :?: Hmm ? :shock: RJ
No.....it's not 780...or any other previously available powder....it is something else entirely.

I was hoping for a replacement for using Reloder 22 in the 30-06...you know, the endless search for more speed....it wasn't a blind test without any research, I half expected the powder to burn funny...but didn't really expect it to "not" burn, lol.

It needs a strong ignition, sufficient pressure, and sufficient bullet engagement (bearing surface)...that is my unscientific results from firing exactly 1 loaded round.

Ridgerunner665":kx0advt2 said:
The problem I had was ignition....or rather, lack of ignition.

F215M primers are the ONLY ones to use with any Ball Powder :) RJ

...I tried Superformance in the .325, 300 WSM, & .25 WSSM in place of RL-17. Good accuracy in all of 'em, but as I came up towards MAX loads, I started to get very erratic MV's, & the MV's weren't near what Hodgdon listed or close to what I was getting w/ RL-17...

wildgene":73fb878p said:
...I tried Superformance in the .325, 300 WSM, & .25 WSSM in place of RL-17. Good accuracy in all of 'em, but as I came up towards MAX loads, I started to get very erratic MV's, & the MV's weren't near what Hodgdon listed or close to what I was getting w/ RL-17...

On the surface...that sounds like ignition problems as the charge increased...not sure how that benefits the discussion, lol...just making a mental note of it though :wink:

The Hodgdon technician I spoke with said the individual canisters of Superformance not the same blend as the powders used in the Superformance ammunition. The Superformance in individual powder canisters is on the same burning rate as RL-19 and H-4831. Nearly every SF load by Hornady is specially blended for that chamber and bullet weight, according to the tech.

I use 57gn of SF with 150gn bullets in my 280 Rem (24" barrel) with extremely good accuracy. This load took a white tail buck last December in one shot. I know it is not a "book load" but there are no signs of overpressure. With 58gn of SF and 140gn bullets the speeds are 3150+ fps w/o signs of overpressure.

Just another Hodgdon gimmick to sell powder. I knew when it was released that it was different than what was loaded in the production ammunition.

Wincheringen":f3ckvdm8 said:
Just another Hodgdon gimmick to sell powder. I knew when it was released that it was different than what was loaded in the production ammunition.

You Knew HOW :?: or did you just have a Feeling :idea: that it would be different :?: :p

Cheers RJ

Gimmick or not, Superformance has propelled 140 and 150 grain hunting loads with outstanding accuracy and consistent speeds. I'm thinking of running SF with 140gn Barnes bullets or Swift Scirocco IIs. It's hard to do that when the 150gn Sierra Game King does so well with SF, but I might get a wild hair.

I recall a couple of prior press releases pointing out that it was different than the powder used in Hornadys cartridge line up, additionally a cursory examination of Hornadys load manual bore out the velocity disparity between the two.
I haven't used any of the SF powder I have yet but have also noticed exceptional velocity and accuracy from others that have tried it in their .280's using 140 and 150 gr. bullets.
On an aside, I've also had better ignition and less erratic velocities using mag or hotter LR caps with ball powders in some cartridges. There was a chart at one time that did have caps listed in terms of how hot they were. Interestingly, given the other recent threads about problematic WLR caps, Winnie's were the hottest of the bunch IIRC.
YMMV,

BD

Back