Help re nosler 270 wby brass

kraky

Handloader
Jan 21, 2006
Got a buddy that wants a good sized batch of ammo loaded to a recipe we've used in the past w/wby brass.
I see shooters has a good deal on the nosler headstamp.
My question is....is this nosler brass made by Norma and would it have the same capacity that we wouldn't have to rework loads?
If its a bit of a secret a pm to me would work.
Thanks...hoping to put an order in plus some bullets.

Generally, any change in component merits a reduction in charge and working back up. With that cartridge, dropping back four grains and doing that, an intermediate load and your usual will give you a ton of information, and ensure that you have several pieces of brass fire-formed to your chamber and ready for neck sizing.

I understand the cautious advice. I've seen on other chatrooms that people think the nosler branded wby brass is made by norma. Just trying to find out. I wouldn't load a huge batch without checking the wt of the new cases vrs the normal wby and doing a volume match up check. If they match I'd load a test batch of 5 and run em over the chrono and proceed with a bigger batch. If they are really close I would use quick load to forecast an adjustment. If they are not close I wouldn't be interested in them....it wouldn't be worth all the work up work when the wby brass has been shooting really really stellar.

It's too easy to simply load up 9rds in a workup to be sure. Don't play games with eyes, ears, and fingers.

Been reloading safely for 20 yrs. Wasn't.looking for a work up lecture. Was hoping someone could help me find out how close nosler brass was to original wby. Hoped the nosler site could do that.

I just ordered 50 to play with. We'll see how things compare to the Weatherby brass I'm using now. But I'll start a few grains lower and work up.

Jmad...if you would please weigh a nosler vrs wby...that will give me a pretty good idea if its a Norma or if its been reconfigured.

Will do. Just ordered it today, and will be elk hunting next week so it might be a while.

back off a grain or two with Nosler brass. You will find a little less capacity but the brass is awesome.

I've used nosler brass in other cartridges. Its usually heavier, thicker, and tough...but my need in this case is a very near match to the hundreds of rounds we have for the 270 wby.

FWIW, I weighed my Nosler .340 Weatherby brass and it was eactly the same mean and weight distribution as the Norma brass that I have for the .340 Weatherby. They should load pretty closely.

jmad....thanks for any help and good luck on the elk hunt. At $62/50 for the nosler vrs about $37/20 for the wby that's a decent savings....I'd like to go with some if it's a match. Gosh just a couple years ago the wby cases were $1 ea and now they've almost doubled! (whine whine whine)
Oldtrader....thanks for the input on the 340....starting to sound like it might be a match. Maybe someone else will chime in soon.

kraky":2z7u8whp said:
Been reloading safely for 20 yrs. Wasn't.looking for a work up lecture. Was hoping someone could help me find out how close nosler brass was to original wby. Hoped the nosler site could do that.

Wasn't a lecture, bud. If you've been loading safely for 20yrs, you've either been lucky or you've been careful, or maybe both. In light of what I've seen from one lot to the next of brass from reputable manufacturers (Norma, including Weatherby headstamp, and Lapua among them) I'd run through a short workup. Weight is not always a direct correlation to case volume. Volume is not always a direct correlation to pressure capacity, either. But since you're pretty sure you're smarter than me, and you're smarter than all the generations of handloaders who have lived by that creed, you go ahead and do whatever you want. I hope it works out.

Why is it always my posts which elicits a lecture? I have been reloading for nearly 50 years and have all fingers and noses. I in fact have narly a blown primer (once, years ago) when I was less cautious. I hope that I have done nothing to offend you?

He wasn't lecturing you Oldtrader he was lecturing me I believe. Starts by saying he wasn't lecturing me but then starts up lecture #2. Oh well. Got this posted over at some other chatrooms now. Hopefully someone has some more experience and can help me decide whether or not to spend a couple hundred dollars on the nosler brass. By the time I get the answer they'll probably be gone anyhow.
BTW...the next time you see me typing....I'll wager it will be with all my fingers and eys perfectly intact.

Patrick (Vettedoc) is the .270 Weatherby guy on this forum. There are not a lot of Weatherby users here, except for calibers .340 Bee on up.

got a confirmation on anothe site that 300 nosler wby was EXACTLY the same spec as wby. So, took a chance and just put in an order. By the time I was done it was $525. Not as big as some here order I'm sure but certainly worth asking some questions.

Back