Help, I'm out of ideas

.300winmag

Handloader
Oct 17, 2011
So a while back, I put together a 6.5x47, set up just like my .300 to practice with and just have fun. Here's the specs:

Remington 700
McMillan A3
Jewell trigger
28" Hart 1-8" twist
20 MOA Kelbly and rings bases
6.5-20 VX-3

I used the same reamer my buddy used in his 6.5x47 F-class gun and it shoots literally lights out with 140 Berger Hynrids and i used my go to smith that's built about 10 rifles for me, they all have shot way better than I. This is a black sheep...

I've tried 140 Hybrids, VLD's, 130 Hybrids, VLD's, 123 SMK and Scenars,, Varget, H4350 and even H4831, I can't get it to shoot better than 3/4 MOA, and even worse, I cannot get repeatable results what's so ever. It'll shoot 3/4" and the next outing it'll be 1.5MOA. I really expected sub half MOA groups to be the norm with this setup.

So I checked the the action screws, based, rings they're fine. So I took it to my smith, he looked it over, checked everything over well, nothing stood out to him, bedding looked great the whole 9 yards. Still replaced firing pin spring to eliminate that variable.

So I thought it was the barrel then. So, took my old 6BR proven barrel, set it back 2" and chambered with it with my 6BR reamer. Gun still just hangs up at 3/4" still not consistent and I know that barrel will shoot .25" groups all day. Tried tweaking the load but it didn't help. So it's not the barrel.

So what if it's the scope? Easy enough to check, swap scopes! to be sure, I put my 15-55 NF on it off my 6BR. No improvement on that....

So, I'm absolutely stumped. My next thought is to bush the firing pin, but I have doubts that will fix it....any body have any ideas?

I would look at the mounts next and maybe look at your dies to see how run out is if you haven't already done so. I assume you are using Lapua brass for that round which is usually good but my first lot of 260 Rem brass from them had some bad run out with virgin brass and later fire formed brass. Anyone it seems can put out a bad lot of brass from time to time.

No suggestions pop into mind just yet.

You're right - that thing should be shooting GREAT.

Dang...

I think I would swap rings and bases first. After that I would check the action closer. Although it's rare there have been instances with some Remington's having cracks down the threads. Do you have another action you could screw either barrel into for testing?

I would think that it could be the action. May need to check that it's bolt face is squared to the chamber/bore. Has it been balanced and blueprinted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I swapped scopes the rings got swapped out as well. Action has been trued and lugs squared up. The thought of a micro fracture somewhere in the action has crossed my mind, and I really don't want that to be the case. I could take the action to work and MPI it to be sure. If it does have a crack, it's worthless, I'm not risking my safety or anybody else's by using it or trading/selling it.

I could put the barrel on another action, might have to set it back for it to headspace properly.

Thanks for the ideas gents.

That's a tough one to be sure. When .5 MOA is your expected results might as well go full custom. After building my tubegun and going with a custom action I don't think I will ever build on a rem 700 again. All premium components right from the start and it shoots everything very well.

That 6.5x47 should be driving tacks. Hope you get it figured out. I know too well the disappointment of a custom not living up to expectations

Expectations are always tough...

You can have the best of everything, and have a very skilled gunsmith put it all together, and regardless of the quality and precision off the rifle and the carefully assembled ammunition, still not end up with the accuracy provided. It is just what it is, and sometimes it just will not get any better than that. We get great results with one rifle and expect the next to produce the same. (As a hunter, 3/4" groups would be great; but for a competitive target shooter, not so great!) It just does not always work out that way. It will depend on whether or not you are willing to accept the final results? (Just my 2 cents, fwiw)

For your sake, I hope that there is not a flaw in the action; but do hope that you are able to determine the issue. Trying another action sounds like your next logical step after your MPI test.

Is your bottom metal binding and causing the barreled action to torque in the stock?

I mostly use Rem actions and gunsmith do the action work. Might want him pull that barrel and start checking his work if everything else is good.

One quick checklist I always do is...

1. Check bedding/free float
2. Make sure mag box isn't binding
3. Make sure action screws aren't bottoming out
4. Make sure scope mount screws aren't bottoming out and touching the threaded section of the barrel.
5. Ensure everything is good and tight with torque wrench
6. Look for burrs on crown

You'd be surprised how often those fixes can cure a problem child rifle. It seems to be especially true for lighter weight rifles.

I am with Guy here Brian, that sucker should literally drive nails. I can't think of anything else other than something in the action must be out of kilter. You have great components on it and I know you shoot like it's your job. Good luck with it buddy. Hope you find the gremlin.

Back