Gun safe flooded.....help?

.280 Remington

Handloader
Jan 17, 2012
Can I trust this to be fire proof again and will it ever dry out? I had about 1.5 inches total in the safe and .5 inches above the "floor" inside the safe. The deepest water was in my gun/reloading room. But the entire basement was flooded. I got all my guns out and at a different location, but wondering what you guys thought. Should I try and claim to insurance or leave it.

Thanks.

Mike

Most insurance companies will let you file a claim & then let you decide if you want to proceed. I would check with your selling agent they should be able to give you some info on that.
First thing they will check to see if you have coverage for the loss.
I was a supervising insurance adjuster for more years then I wanted to be :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Nothing damaged in the firearm dept as far as I can tell at this time. I have the guns at a different location now.

The safe should dry out and it should be fire proof. The fire-proofing comes from layers of gyprock lining the walls. So long as they haven't sluffed, you should be fine, Mike. After you believe it to be dry, you may want to put some silica pellets inside to absorb moisture that is essentially undetectable before placing guns back in the safe.

I've seen a Browning ProSteel 24 gun safe that had 2" of water in it. The carpet'd areas, walls and floor, were 4 weeks drying out. Owner's Ins. said to let it set, but if in a month it didn't satisfy the owner, the HO ins. would replace the safe. He still has that old safe!

The owner had removed 20 high-$ o/u shot guns prior to the flood! So much for havin' your safe in the basement.

My Browning gun safe was flooded at my son's house in a spring creek overflow. The guns were okay and dried out with no damage or rust. The safe was wet for about 2 inches on the bottom. An electric heater with fan was set up next to open safe door and dried out safe in a few days. Small amount of rust on the safe bottom was sanded and repainted with Rustoleum.

I would file a claim with your HO Insurance, might be a good opportunity to use that money towards an upgrade/bigger safe.

JD338

As a person who has hung endless sheets of gypsum on stud walls in construction (sheet rock), I will tell you that as soon as that suff gets water logged it becomes worthless. I have seen more than one basement flooded and if all of the wet sheetrock isnt cut out and replaced, mostly to allow the studs and areas behind them to dry, a mold problem developed. I am not an expert on safe construction but getting that thing dried out will not be easy and I certainly beleive the fire rating has been compromised. Maybe a call to the safe manufacturer would help. I am very sorry for your loss and given the same problem I would replace the safe. Good luck and keep us updated with your progress.

Well gang, I did call the safe company and they recommend replacing it, no matter the amount of water. Due to exactly what bbearhntr has mentioned. I am insured with USAA and called them about it. They said let me know which one it is and we'll look up the price online and cut you a check! Good thing is, the MSRP on the site is considerably higher than a comparable one in the local store....so it looks like an upgrade/upsize may be in order!

Thanks everyone for the input, and on a side note....if you or anyone in your family has ever been in the military(including parents) you are eligible for USAA. And USAA ROCKS!

Back