Grouping Strategies

killdeernow

Beginner
Dec 20, 2006
Not sure which forum to post this in, so I chose this one.

So here's my question to you:

I've seen some pretty impressive groups from several of you on this forum, from small calibers to large. With this said, how do you start your groups off? By this I mean: 1) cold, clean bore and let three rip 2) a few fouling rounds before you let the games begin 3) etc. etc.

I normally let one fly in the dirt berm, and then rattle three off. But yesterday, it took four shots to find the paper and adjust (no boresight here) and then I started off my set of three and I got one heck of a group. First time I did that...

So I'm interested in your strategies,

If the rifle is clean, I fire a fouling shot but at the intended target. Good to know where the first shot lands from a cold, clean barrel. If the barrel is fouled, I don't worry with a fouling shot unless I have changed something with the load other than the powder charge. I do fire three shots without letting the barrel between shots but let it cool between groups.Rick.

Some rifles shoot best with a somewhat fouled bore. Often the first shot, or even the first two shots will land well away from the rest of the group.

Think about the ramifications of that while hunting!

Also, aim small, hit small. I try to pick a very precise aiming point when I'm shooting for a group, it helps me. Normally I'm a guy who just gets a kick out of hitting center-mass on my target. Never was much of a group shooter, so when I do shoot a good one I usually get all excited and take photos and brag about it...

I'd really rather just shoot the steel gongs and make 'em clang every time than shoot for the smallest possible group. This could explain why I've never taken up benchrest competition. I'd probably start shooting at bugs crawling on the targets, or nails in the backstop boards, or dirt clods on the range or something.... Too easily distracted by.... stuff.

Guy

When shooting for groups, I always start from a clean barrel. It serves as my baseline to ensure that I draw conclusions based on the same base each time. Practically speaking, for hunting, I always carry a fouled barrel consisting of one to three shots fired before going afield.

I always start with a clean barrel for the same reasons as already mentioned.

Most rifles usually shoot their best after 1-2 fouling shots. My 338 RUM is the exception as it shoots very well from a clean lightly oiled barrel. Note the oil ring on the targer, first shot sent down range.
338RUM250grAB412.jpg

JD338

Usually get my best groups between shots 6-10 provided I have let the barrel return to normal temp. My rifle is just weird that way. Or maybe Im the weird one. I have taken to shooting my 22 for a while before I try for groups. Helps my nerves settle (one of the joys of Cerebral Palsy is a built in "yank" on the trigger) and I review my "mechanics" I need the practice. :) CL

My 7mm mag takes around 6 to 9 shots to properly foul, at least last time I took it out. Went from a 2.0" group to 1.149" at 200 yards.

Corey

My 280 AI seems to take close to 10 shots down a clean bore before it starts to shoot. I was wondering what was going on when I first started shooting a box of fifty that I had loaded. After ten shots or so and groups over 1", it went back to shooting .3" groups five or six different times over the next few months.

I like to shoot one and let it cool for my three shot groups. I'm not going to get a warm up shot in the field so why do I want to have a load that needs one to group good. I always hunt with a fouled barrel. I do a bunch of practice buring the off season. I always clean my barrel and refoul it before hunting.

I always work toward a load that groups well with the first shot cold and clean. Though, I'll admit.... I don't "clean" barrels like most folks. A patch soaked with Butches, followed by several dry patches after each shooting session is all I do... ever (unless going to a monolithic). I find this leaves the bore "seasoned" enough to get first shots consistent with the rest of the "group". Can't for the life of me figure out why someone would want to "scrub" a barrel when they're not changing anything... just cleaning.

I usually take my cold bore shot at the 500 yard swinger, then shoot my group.
No cool down until I'm done with my group. Once the group is done, I open my bolt, and set the rifle in the rack, and move on to the next one while it cools.

I always start with a dry well cleaned barrel!
Fire two shots to foul the bore.
I cool the bore for a couple of minutes between shots.... most of my rifles are hunting rigs, all of them will shoot under 1/2 inch at 100 yards (the 7 mag I am currently working on is messing with me). Most will shoot 5" at 800, affectionately referred to as minute of elk.
When you heat up the throat area of your shooting iron it erodes faster than if it were allowed to cool, I translate this to mean longer barrel life if allowed to cool. My '06 had just over 7000 rounds through it before the throat went south. When hunting your first shot is always from a cold barrel.

When working up a load, always clean, with powder solvent, copper solvent and a brush between groups. In my experience if you have expectations of consistency then you have to establish a baseline, a clean (very clean) barrel is the only way I know of to do this. CW

It sounds like I am pretty much like the rest of you. I shoot 1-2 fouling shots but taking serious aim at my desired POI. I don't know if it is just my gun but my .280 actually shoots dead on for the 1st fouling shot 7-8 times out of 10. It then will open up until about the 3rd or 4th shot and then she starts really grouping.

I don't know if that means I should always take a clean barrel to field on my .280 or with 4-6 rds down it before hunting.

Back