Got some CFE 223!!!

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
I know some of you have been wondering about Hodgdon's new CFE 223. Well, I picked some up yesterday at a small shop that I have never been before. I'm going to load it up in my 22-250 with some 52gr Sierra matchkings. I'll let you know how it does.

I'll be looking forward to your report. It looks promising and interesting.

Been wondering how well it would work for the 223 ARs. I like Benchmark, but the 223s are fun tinker with.

I bought it because I wasn't getting the velocity I wanted outta my 22-250 with IMR 4320. Accuracy is there, but not velocity. The rifles sole purpose is to be a chuck gun, so what the heck. Go big or go home!

Max load with a 52gr pill promises 3900+ fps. I'd be happy with 3800+

I will just stay with Ramshot TAC. It has a copper inhibitor in it, and seems to shoot very cleanly in my .223's. I only have about 8 lbs of it on hand, so eventually I may get to try some of the new Hodgdon CFE 223. I did pick up some of the new IMR-8028XBR for my son's .338 Federal. I may have to try some in my .223's as some have reported outstanding performance in the .223.

I've been getting great accuracy from both H335 & Xterminator w/ 55 gr NBTs, & RL15 w/ 70 gr Speers, but CFE wouldn't deliver anywhere near what those did. I'm going to use it w/ heavier bullets in the AR & lighter in the 243.

I have some loads made up for my 22-250 using CFE 223, 52gr Sierra MK's, and CCI 200 primers.
I started at 36gr and loaded in .5gr increments to 41.5gr. I plan on shooting these at 300yds for a ladder test, then coming up with my load from there. I'll keep you guys posted.

I finally found a pound of it on the shelf at my local store as well! My initial testing, also in 22-250, will be with the 40gr Varmageddon where it's showing a max velocity of over 4300 fps. I'm excited to see what this powder will do. It metered very well when loading. If accuracy is there to go with all that velocity then I'm going to have to clear some space for a few 8lb jugs of it on my bench!

shoots_5":2m7f5128 said:
If accuracy is there to go with all that velocity then I'm going to have to clear some space for a few 8lb jugs of it on my bench!

My thoughts exactly! I like the sounds of 3900+ fps with a 52gr pill.

I liked it too! Then I started running some comparison numbers and found some interesting things....that with the exception of energy the 40 grain varmageddon beats the 52 grain SMK in every category. I ran the numbers with the SMK doing 3900fps vs the Varmageddon going 4300fps and this is what I got....

Doesn't beat it by a ton....but enough to take a look at the lighter pills as well! I was especially surprised that it won the wind drift battle.

Attachments

• velocity comparison.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 4,581
  • wind drift.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 4,581
  • bullet path.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 4,581
  • energy.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 4,581
SE,

Looking forward to your load development.
3900 fps would be screaming for a 52 grainer!

JD338

Man, those do look like some good numbers. I just bought a box of 500ct SMK's, so I'll have to try some 40gr pills after i shoot them up!

Any results? I've been kinda looking to change powder in my dirty little AR. She gets dirty fast and needs tending to. Running IMR-4198 right now and this powder is intriguing me for both the .223 .22-250 and possibly the .243 and .308. Thanks.

I've had a chance to play with it some and while velocity was certainly impressive, it was not very accurate compared to other combos in my rifle. I was able to hit 4380fps with the 40gr Varmageddon, and pushed the 52gr bullets up to 3850, neither of which was showing pressure so probably could have squeezed out a little more. Now don't get me wrong, I found several loads that went under an inch, but this rifle is capable of much more with the right combo. The other thing I noticed using this powder is that my ES and Sd's were very high typically compared to what I usually see. Most loads I tested had ES of over 100....so I essentially gave up on it for the time being. Below is a picture of the best load I was able to get from it. It's about a .75" group.

Attachments

• IMAG0420.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 4,321
Those are impressive velocities. I have a couple of pounds and will likely do some work with selected cartridges this summer.

I got ahold of some in the spring and tried 125's and 130 tsx in my 308 Kimber Montana - I had trouble with the chrono so haven't been able to measure as yet but I'm getting 1/2" - 3/4" 4 shot groups with the top loads and I know they're fast, just not "how" fast yet - will post when that happens - interesting powder though

I picked up a pound of the CFE at Cable's in Kearney and tired it today in my 22-250. I really don't know how well it has helped blow the gunk out of the barrel or prevent further fouling because the barrel is very bad. I got this rifle used, and I know why it was sold. I read several reviews of the powder and while it was not directly stated that it was designed to clear our copper and carbon fouling, it did it well on a barrel with copper deposits. With more elbow grease and more rounds through the barrel with the CFE I will be glad to tell the world if this stuff really removed crud.......we'll see.

Back