Getting ready for Monday

ROVERT

Handloader
Jun 18, 2011
I just finished loading some rounds for rifle season which opens Monday.

225 Accubonds for my Whelen and 180 Partions for my dad's .300 WM.

DSC02279.JPG

Pretty strong whitetail medicine, but they should get the job done.

The 35 is my #2 rifle this season. I'm going to try to get the job done with just over half the bullet first... 130 Accubonds out of the .270.

I'm trying to talk my dad into using the .300 this season. It really ought to get broken in. If the Partitions shoot the same as the Hornady 180's, I'll really push him to use it.

I'm going to try to bust some jugs tomorrow with these two rounds.

Potent loads for sure.
Good luck to the both of you.

JD338

They surely are handsome cartridges, Trevor. Best of luck to you and your dad in your season.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Whitetails are the quarry. Only does for me. My dad doesn't archery hunt, so he has all of his tags.

I took 18 water jugs with me to test these two bullets. Only four jugs survived. I'd say those are impressive results.

First the Whelen:

DSC02280.JPG

DSC02282.JPG

DSC02283.JPG

Then the .300 (the velocity for the Partition hasn't been tested yet, 3010 fps is what the Hornady 180s do with this load):

DSC02281.JPG

DSC02284.JPG

DSC02285.JPG

I can see how the 180 Partition could get a little messy. You're still going to get all the penetration you could possibly need, though.

The 225 AccuBond is just impressive.

Video of exploding jugs is on its way for those who are interested. I will also post the results in the appropriate bullet test threads.

Classic performance for a couple of classic bullets. That will work on most any whitetail that I've ever seen (or moose, or elk, or bear, or...).

FOTIS":28qbnnot said:
What is your load for the 225 AB?

56.5 grains VARGET, Fed. 210, R-P case.

You are correct, Dr. Mike, I think these two combinations are ready to take on just about anything I could come up with to hunt.

Rovert,
Trust me when I tell you the Whelen is not to much gun for whitetails. I shoot the same 225 AB too. There will be no deer run off or trailing the deer needed. I just flattens deer. Nothing wrong with your other choices mentioned either. :wink:

I have a 30-06 with a deadly 165 Ballistic Tip load that hasn't gone out with me yet. I'm just spoiled with the Whelen results. :mrgreen: If you haven't tried out that Whelen load yet I would DARE YOU to give it a try. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Don

Great looking stuff Trevor! Those are excellent recoveries and very good videos!

I'm with Don, don't let the Whelen sit out. It's fun to see it smash animals to the ground.

Don and Scotty, the .270 really has to get the first chance this year. Having already used my buck tag, I will certainly be a designated walker for the drives. I'll likely carry the more compact Whelen for this, so it stands a good chance of getting to bark.

I really am anxious to see what it will do, but I feel the same about the 130 Accubonds sizzling out of the .270.

Good point Trevor. Your 270 is awesome as well. You have a bunch of great shooters. You need to find a good Marlin 444 or 45-70 for deer drives. You would love carrying one of them and the quick extra shot never hurts.

270 with 130's is deadly medicine for Deer. Wishing you luck on Monday.

Don

Back