Geez i love Imperial/Redding dry neck lube!

kraky

Handloader
Jan 21, 2006
Been using it for the last 2 years w/the ceramic ball applicator. .Just sized up a batch of 20 270 win with ordinary rcbs dies.I use a shaved lee shellholder for no toggle over for perfect head space control.I've done a little tuning on the expander to make sure its centered in the die. Slowly pull the casings over the expander....goes like butter.Result: spot checked 4 of the 20 resize brass....not a one has over. 001 run out. And...with the lube in the neck I know the bullets will seat like butter too. Sure hope my gun likes a few new trial recipes cause all else should be "good to go"!

It is, indeed, a great product. Been using it for quite a few years after using motor mica for many years prior to that. Graphic has greater lubricity than does the mica.

I use dry moly in a puffer bottle to lube the inside on my case necks. Just a light dusting works great.

Up until about two months ago I had always used the RCBS pad and lube for FL sizing. Necks got a treatment inside with a brush dipped in motor mica with limited results. Then, someone turned me onto the Imperial Sizing Wax and application media and I never looked back. Best stuff I've ran across.

Yes, I started using it after Mike recommended it :wink:. Works like a charm.

Blessings,
Dan

So do you guys run the neck into the brush and get it cleaned out inside and then dip it into the dry lube and size. Want to make sure I"m doing it correctly.

6mm Remington":35eeh9u4 said:
So do you guys run the neck into the brush and get it cleaned out inside and then dip it into the dry lube and size. Want to make sure I"m doing it correctly.

That's it, David. Works great.

I wipe off the outside of the case neck before sizing w/a wet paper towel...otherwise it seems eventually it gets into some of the normal case lube and I get some greasy black gunk on shells coming out of the die.
Just dip into the ceramic balls a couple times w/one hand.....wipe outside neck w/damp paper towel w/the other hand. Takes about 2 minutes to prep 20 cases. Amazing how just a little goes a long ways.

I love that stuff easy to apply works great and no mess saves me a ton of time especially when I'm neck sizing. I hate wiping cases after sizing might have to get some wax and try it for FL.

Wincheringen":sb97zpnq said:
That and the die wax is top notch stuff. I haven't stuck a case since I went to it.

It is possible to stick a case. Don't ask me how I know. :oops:

DrMike":64it85uu said:
Wincheringen":64it85uu said:
That and the die wax is top notch stuff. I haven't stuck a case since I went to it.

If you weren't playing with the big stuff all the time you would!! Actually I've only stuck one 223 using a lube pad last case it was pretty dry thought I could get away with it. 2 hours later minus the case I was done. Most difficult piece of brass I ever sized. And I couldn't even load it!!

kraky":q54p1y6b said:
I wipe off the outside of the case neck before sizing w/a wet paper towel...otherwise it seems eventually it gets into some of the normal case lube and I get some greasy black gunk on shells coming out of the die.
Just dip into the ceramic balls a couple times w/one hand.....wipe outside neck w/damp paper towel w/the other hand. Takes about 2 minutes to prep 20 cases. Amazing how just a little goes a long ways.

What? Wait a minute. We don't need any lubricant on the OUTSIDE of the case neck? When I partial full length resize I use Hornady's One Shot case lube, then the Imperial dry neck lube and I have been putting up with the "greasy black gunk on shells coming out of the die." I didn't realize I could wipe the outside of the neck without consequence. Please tell me this is so. I hate gunk.

The ball being withdrawn is the galling point on the process. A quick dip into the Application Media is sufficient to lubricate the neck. I use Imperial Sizing Wax on about the lower third of the case and dip the neck in Application Media. It is sufficient for sizing. A quick wipe with a paper towel and you are finished.

Nydan...in 20 yrs of reloading I've never lubed the outside of necks with no consequence.
That's the beauty of a lube pad...the neck doesn't get lubed.
Seems to me most reloading sources say not to lube neck/shoulder to avoid hydraulic denting of the shoulder area.
Guessing your doing a thin coat if not getting dents.

Kraky,

You are absolutely correct - my old reloading manuals all say to NOT lube the neck and shoulder. I didn't lube the shoulder or the outside of the neck when I used a lube pad years ago. When I started using the spray-on Hornady One Shot, I kind of forgot about not lubing the outside of the neck. Geez, see what getting old does to me. I have already forgotten more than I know now.

The old lube that I used to use on the lube pad was so "sticky" that I hated it. It didn't seem that I could just wipe it off. Plus I couldn't seem to keep my lube pad clean. The One Shot is so much easier to wipe off.

No, I have never had hydraulic denting of the neck or shoulder. The One Shot puts such a thin film on that it must not cause problems.

Thanks for your posts. I will be sure to wipe from now on.......

And, I'm a virgin when it comes to one shot. Been meaning to try it...won't need the dry neck lube inside the necks if i do!

Wincheringen":1dqdczgd said:
DrMike":1dqdczgd said:
Wincheringen":1dqdczgd said:

It wasn't a fault of Imperial Die Wax then.

Nope! Operator inattention (i.e., fouled up).

Back