FREEBORE!

Muldoon

Beginner
Oct 16, 2016
That's one reason I've never cared for that make rifle! Plus....it's hard enough to get two locking lugs to mesh correctly.....much less nine!

I assume you're talking Weatherbies.

My bees shoot great!

BMItgFKm.jpg

0wWxPizm.jpg

9GjVUomm.jpg

yOH5D2Am.jpg

TCt1LrBm.jpg

3XY153Xm.jpg

pq7DLPJm.jpg

8W9raRdm.jpg

Rk74hzml.jpg

I got more but you get the picture!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have experience with two weatherbies personally,

both of these targets are with factory ammo. One right after breakin.
DSCN1519-1.jpg

340 wby during load development
DSCN3201.jpg

Same 340 load @ 300 yards
DSCN3292.jpg

Some impressive velocities with wby factory ammo
250 grain Sp's
DSCN2983.jpg

I've nothing but good things to say about them. :grin:

240 grain hand loads
DSCN3290.jpg

To be honest,

I had always heard good things but, like most did not really have anything but a passing interest. One day when looking around a gun store a screaming deal on a mark V was there. The rifle followed me home so I let it stay. Shot little bitty tiny groups and I was able to fully appreciate the Mark V. Years later I was gifted the .340 and like the first, it shot very well too.

I've got friends who also own some wby's and they will attest that their rifles also shoot well. So far I have never heard anything bad about them. Perhaps there is a dud out there somewhere? For me I can recommend a mark V and be sure it will be a good shooter.

Love my .257 WBY. Half inch groups with factory 115g Nosler Ballistic tips @ 3400 fps. Handloaded 110 Accubonds @3480 will shoot just as tight.

The old, and always wrong, thought that freebore is bad is one that needs to be put to bed...

Roy Weatherby was on to something... There are some new rounds out there that have taken his idea of using freebore to increase the capacity of high performance rounds to the next level.

http://www.defensiveedge.net/index.php/338-edge-p

And they are sub moa accurate at over a mile.

20141212_257WBY.jpgWeatherby Vanguard in 257 Weatherby and long freebore. The rifle had less than 50 rounds when it shot this group of 100 grain Swift Sciroccos.
The freebore does make it a bit tricky to decide where to start seating.

I wouldn't let the fact that some Weatherbys have freebore sway your decision on a rifle you'd like to have. I've had a few MK IV magnums and all of them shot more accurately using Weatherby ammo than the average rifle. When I worked up a load for Weatherbys I stuck to factory OAL. The factory loads for Weatherbys are carefully chosen and could be a bit of a chore to duplicate. With the powders we now have it's a bit easier and the newer Weatherbys are very accurate. The most Accurate Weatherby I had was a .270 WM in stainless synthetic "not accumark" that would shoot right at .600" with weatherby factory loads or hand loads. It didn't care.
Billy

I'd be just fine toting my sons MK5 300 Wby anywhere I'd hunt. It is unreal with decent handloads. Same for my brothers 257 Wby..

Let us not forget the 300 RUM has twice the freebore

Muldoon":v51pa9av said:
I'm proud you like 'em!

I had 270 Wby build without the Wby freebore. Can't shoot factory but didn't build it for that and advantage is less powder for Wby velocity.

Back