Forbes rifles

Melvin Forbes makes a fine product, and the .280 is assuredly a great, if underappreciated, cartridge. One could do far worse than to pick up a Forbes rifle chambered in this great cartridge.

We spoke with them (and Melvin) extensively at the SHOT Show in January. They appear to be very nice lightweight rifles, and I would have no problems purchasing one.

The only down side we could determine is that they use E. R. Shaw barrels. Shaw is known for producing OK barrels, but not great barrels. In addition, they are perpetually behind in production, and it hasn't improved with the recent climate regarding firearms purchasing. The principals at Forbes tried to reassure us that the barrels would be up to their standards regarding accuracy and timeliness. As a result, be careful regarding wait times if you order one, but if your local dealer has one on hand then you're good to go.

I have read up the company and they seem to make a good product. I know that if Doc gives them the okay they surely are not bad.
DV describing wait times on them is likely right on as well. But in the last 2 years I have found that it really does not matter which company you are using the wait time is going to be extensive. I ordered my 280AI last January & was assured that a 100 day wait period would be the longest and then 2 to 3 weeks to assemble. While approximately 3 weeks ago I was advised my rifle was going to be Cerakoted the next day and then they would be intouch with me, I still have not heard anything :wink:.
But I did not go into this build thinking I would get the rifle with in the stated time so I am not worried about as long as it is of the same quality as my 35 Whelen.

Blessings,
Dan

JohnB":28eswjih said:
Wayno945

There are seven on gunbroker right now. One is a 280.

JohnB

And, there you go! :grin: Ready and waiting for you!

I did notice them on there the other night. Just wanted to see if they're worth the 1400 dollar price tag.

wayno945":2v4i2zzw said:
I did notice them on there the other night. Just wanted to see if they're worth the 1400 dollar price tag.
Define "worth."

To get a highly accurate extremely light rifle, then yes they are worth it. I think you'd spend a lot more on a rifle of the same weight and caliber elsewhere. As long as as you understand that adding lightness costs money then you'll do fine.

I was hoping to find someone who had already shot one, to hear a first hand account of accuracy results. I did read the review Layne Simpson wrote recently, and it looked quite promising. Does anyone know if the 280 chamber can be reamed to ackley improved without setting back the barrel? I would prefer the 280 AI over the original.

They seem nice, but they are asking $1800 here. You would be hard pressed to get a gun that light by going the custom route for that money. Should be the ultimate mountain gun.

There was two at the Tulsa gun-show, on the same table. One was very nice. $1400 each.

wayno945":vigjf58a said:
I was hoping to find someone who had already shot one, to hear a first hand account of accuracy results.
If you don't like the accuracy, they'll take the rifle back and fix it.
I would not worry about any accuracy results.

Go ahead and call them - nice guys, and they will stand behind their work.

wayno945":1pwdopkf said:
Anyone shoot one of the new manufacture Melvin Forbes rifles? That 280 Rem ultralight is calling my name :mrgreen:

http://www.forbesriflellc.com

There is another Forbes site and we have Model 24

http://www.newultralight.com/HTML/custom-rifles.html

Mel sold his Company UltraLight Arms to Colt some years ago and was suppose to help set up shop etc and was falling out over that rifle and what it was suppose to be. Long story short Mel got company back but name was changed to NewUltralight Arms and that's the one I posted. Mels other company is what Colt was suppose to build.

Good guy to deal with

I have an 24" ER Shaw barrel on a 280 Rem. The rifle is super, nothing less. I'll stand by the Shaw barrels and get another one if I build another custom rifle.

How can someone tell if one barrel manufacturer is better an another one?

wayno945":35ugqp7d said:
I was hoping to find someone who had already shot one, to hear a first hand account of accuracy results. I did read the review Layne Simpson wrote recently, and it looked quite promising. Does anyone know if the 280 chamber can be reamed to ackley improved without setting back the barrel? I would prefer the 280 AI over the original.

It should be the shoulder on the 280AI is farther forward so as you ream it out there should be no issues. If you decide to do that though and you load yourself you may want to look into maximizing your magazine by stretching your throat by loading a few dummies to length that function in the mag before rechambering.

Jake

double_d":2e47qcei said:
I have one ordered in 25/06.........will give a report when I have it in hand

Congrats! That sounds like a nice rifle.. Heard nothing but great things about them.

double_d":fxl7bp85 said:
I have one ordered in 25/06.........will give a report when I have it in hand

I'm quite certain you'll be favourably impressed with this rifle. Congratulations.

Back