Fixing high ES

It may have got lost as you've a ton of what if replies here...

But I'm curious as to how you came up with seating .030 off.

Unless I missed it you've mentioned nothing about your seating depth minus seating it .030 below and that was what...
Again...perhaps I missed something 🤷‍♂️
I started off with .010" off, and worked deeper until I found a one hole group @ 100, but the ES is not what I liked.

View attachment 19421 😁
I have never tried JLK bullets, but I have heard of them. I have a 11:25 twist, and I have used up to 178 grains in ELD M and X. Never tried the 180's and over. They were deadly on deer, easy bang flop each time.
Will This be used for deer sized game?
If so, the JLK's will Not work like A-Max's, ELD-M's or ELD-X's

Are you at one or two thou of neck tension currently?
I would go up to 5 thou.

I don't typically go to 5 thou neck tension, but I would go to 3, if 2 doesn't work

Mark, I’m curious. I too have a 130gn SGK 270 load that’s got an ES of 30 using H4831. I also have a Barnes TTSX 130gn load using RL17 and a ES of 3. I’d like to get the H4831 working better so I’ll change Primers. And see if I do better with another.

Watched an Eric Cortina podcast and he said a couple things that I thought were interesting. If you have good combustion and good harmonics, then it’s on the shooter.
To measure consistent combustion, he looks for low ES. Single digits. Remember he’s a long range competitor. To measure good harmonics, he’s looking for one ragged hole.

To tackle ES, primer, powder and brass have to work together to get the low ES. Curious if you got that single digit load and what worked?

To tackle Harmonics, he takes his low ES load and runs a ladder test at different seating depths. He basically looks for a node on seating depth. As barrels erode,?it can change over time and he wants to seat and a depth that the harmoniic will be consistent as the barrel erodes.. until he needs to do a new ladder test..

Anyways, I’m chasing low ES on SGK, H4831, CCI, starline brass. I’m at 30 right now. Next up is primers. Might try RL17 as that’s working great.

Mark, I’m curious. I too have a 130gn SGK 270 load that’s got an ES of 30 using H4831. I also have a Barnes TTSX 130gn load using RL17 and a ES of 3. I’d like to get the H4831 working better so I’ll change Primers. And see if I do better with another.

Watched an Eric Cortina podcast and he said a couple things that I thought were interesting. If you have good combustion and good harmonics, then it’s on the shooter.
To measure consistent combustion, he looks for low ES. Single digits. Remember he’s a long range competitor. To measure good harmonics, he’s looking for one ragged hole.

To tackle ES, primer, powder and brass have to work together to get the low ES. Curious if you got that single digit load and what worked?

To tackle Harmonics, he takes his low ES load and runs a ladder test at different seating depths. He basically looks for a node on seating depth. As barrels erode,?it can change over time and he wants to seat and a depth that the harmoniic will be consistent as the barrel erodes.. until he needs to do a new ladder test..

Anyways, I’m chasing low ES on SGK, H4831, CCI, starline brass. I’m at 30 right now. Next up is primers. Might try RL17 as that’s working great.
Did you run 3 round groups in .3 increments? Along the way, you should find a low ES and a node, I would start midway and work my way up. It's the way I always have done it. If I don't see any promises , I would play with seating depths in .010" increments, I would start with touching and longer in .010" increments, as a last resort, I would change powders. As you mentioned changing primers, its not a bad idea. Keep us posted.

Back