First high powered rifle for my son...

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
Got him a Ruger American Compact in 7mm-08...

I'm thinking 120 grain BT's to start with, at moderate velocity to keep the recoil down.

Don't have my hands on the rifle yet, probably be Saturday night before I get it.

I think that is a great choice for your boy. He should enjoy that rifle for all of his years...along with any others you might send his way ....:<)

Long

Seems like 120's and 7-08's go together like peas and carrots. Hard combo to beat!

I love the 7-08...it's a low recoil killing stick. Heck- I like it better than the .270 and the .308, and that's saying a lot. Just the 7x57 in a new package.

I love the American rifle too- all of them I've messed with were good shooters and easy to get dialed in.

Evan has put the smack on some caribou with his 7-08- works great. Even with full power 140gr loads it's not punishing. A reduced 120gr load would be about the equal of the .243 in terms of recoil and plenty for deer.

I have no doubt your son is going to love that rifle. Good move on your part.

I first read this thread this morning as I was getting dressed to go hunting during our rifle deer season.

I was using a Tikka T-3 7mm-08 loaded with 120 BT's and about 0700 shot a big bodied 8 pt at 125ish yards. The bullet smashed through ribs and lungs leaving large holes in and out. The buck ran 25-30 yds and piled up well within view.

I'd never killed anything with this caliber before but VERY pleased with the performance and feel sure you and your son will too.

Ron

Good choice! It will be effective now, and always considered for ease of handling and carrying. The 120' s are so excellent and such a good match for the velocities generated. You might want to get another one for yourself.
EE2

Got my son the same rifle in 308. I'm sure they will both be happy boys come christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 gr varget 120 BT my daughter's load.

1.4" at 200 yards!

I've always liked the Nikon prostaff for a budget scope, pretty decent glass, the new red fields are pretty nice for the money too

I've always liked the Nikon prostaff for a budget scope, pretty decent glass, the new red fields are pretty nice for the money too

Ridgerunner665":33108ki9 said:
Thanks guys!

Recommend some scopes in the $200 range.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I know this one is a bit over your price point. Cabela's have a $100 rebate on the Leo VX-3
Keith

The VX2 that Fotis recommends in the post below might be ideal for a lifetime on that rifle. For a young shooter (and myself) I wouldn't need the CDS but the deal is good enough and it would be a great fit. CL

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=32115

Got the Ruger today...neat lil rifle, with an exceptional trigger pull....the rifle, scope, sling, and 4 rounds of ammo weighed in at barely over 7 lbs.

I wound up getting the VX2 3-9x40 (no CDS)....I wanted a 2-7x33 or so but that lil scope just wasn't gonna fit right on the Ruger without extended rings. I looked at and checked fit and eye relief of dang near every scope they had in the $200-$300 price range (Mahoneys has an EXCELLENT selection of both optics and firearms). The VX2 was the only one that had both a good eye box and plenty of room to slide the scope back and forth if needed.

I'm not a real Leupold fan, but it was the only one that fit the bill here...the VX2 was $299, Weaver QuadLock rings for $17, the rifle was $372, and a box of Federal Fusion 120 grain ammo was $29.

Money well spent...Daniel will be happy come Christmas morning!

It sounds as if you did a great job selecting that setup. I know your son is going to be pleased.

Back