First bow buck !

HTDUCK

Handloader
Apr 18, 2009
Prior to this I had taken one doe with a bow and that was 22 years ago.
Had quit bow hunting until I got bit by the bug again last year.
I passed a couple of bucks on my lease in Mo last year because they just weren't quite shooters.

Well last Friday Creedmore invited me to tag along to his place in Val Verde county north of Del Rio. That's right on the Texas Mexico border.
I though I was merely going along to see if the Auodad sheep would show up but got green lighted to shoot two deer he's been seeing on camera if they showed up.
Friday evening all I saw was a Boone and Crockett porcupine.
Sat morning nothing except doves and a rabbit.

Sat evening I went back to the same ground blind for the third sit.
Got in and settled about 4:45 PM.
By 6:45 my hopes were dwindling and I was thinking I should take a nap.
At 6:52 I heard a rock hit another rock and thought " what in the heck was that ? "
I looked and listened and was starting to think I'd imagined it when I heard it again. I couldn't really see to my right where the blind is situated due to the scrub oaks and cedars and I knew better than to stick my head up as I wasn't wearing a face mask. Then I saw a leg. And another leg. Then tines !
It was an 8 that was on the list of shooters moving slowly toward the feeder.

He walked into the open, stopped at 17 yards and stared right at the ground blind. After a minute or so he started feeding. Only problem was where he was at I had no shot, too much brush between us. He fed for a second and then whipped his head up and stared right at me again. Then he turned and started walking straight away from me toward the escape route the deer always use there. My heart jumped up in my throat figuring maybe he winded me . After five or six steps he stopped and looked back to his right. I heard more rocks clattering and figured there were more deer coming in. The 8 turned and started feeding his way slowly back toward me. At 14 yards he turned broadside and just about the time he cleared the cleared the brush a 5 point stepped directly between us.
Finally the 5 point moved out of the way and the 8 was at 12 yards quartering slightly away.
At the shot he jumped 6 feet straight up in the air and I could see blood on his ribcage.
I heard him running through the rocks in the creek bottom and heard him crash. Looked at my phone , it was 7:12
At 7:13 I was shaking like a leaf.

Not the biggest buck I've ever killed, but one I'll remember forever.

Thanks Creed !

Way cool, Howard. That is a tremendous account of a truly memorable hunt!

Thanks Gents !
Talk about every nerve on edge.
That deer was within 20 yards of me for 20 minutes before I could get an ethical shot.
What a rush.
Can't wait to get back in the stand !

Congrats Howard!
That's a nice buck.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Wow! Congratulations!

I'm in about the same boat - never took ANY big game with my bow. Plenty of rabbits, pheasant, squirrels, etc... When I was young... But never any big game....

I love archery - but have never committed to making it my primary quest as a hunter...

Congrats!

Guy

Back