Finally got my 6.5 Grendel together.

mladucer

Beginner
Jan 12, 2009
Well guys its been quite a while since i've posed on this fine forum. I got a new toy to show everyone.... It's my New coyote gun.

Im shooting a 107 SMK over 29.5 gr of IMR XBR 8208 at and average of 2730 on the Chrony

Compared to a .223

I do believe that will work for coyotes. Fine looking setup.

Thats a really neat little round, looks like a great alternative to a 223 Rem. Good luck with the coyotes this year :)

That will definitely do the job on a coyote. Looking forward to further reports along with a few photos.

Blessings<
Dan

Very nice. I have been shooting IMI 7.62 brass that is fireformed. I do not get near the speed you do but with 107 Sierras, I get groups around .5 most of the time. I am only able to load up to 26 grains of XBR per case and get 2370 FPS.

Once I use my brass up, I will get 6.5 Grendel brass and work up new loads. I love mine and enjoy shooting.

I managed to get some Lapua brass for my gun but it was a wait. I think all together this gun has taken a year to build and be shootable. Took almost 7 months to get just the barrel which is an Alexander arms 20" 1-9 twist. It seems to shoot alot flatter then what my ballistics programs predict but I've only taken it to 400 yards so far.(says it should drop about 31 inches but i get an average of 26 inches).

Got some shooting done on paper with my Grendel.... Did some 5 round groups as fast as I could back on the red dot. I am pretty glad how the results turned out. Both groups had the 4th and 5th shot walk on me or maybe I flinched, either way I happy with both loads. And there is almost no need to rezero between the two.

This is my pet load(107 smk over IMR XBR8208)

And this is with the Alexander Arms ammo with 120 gr NBT

Gloomy out with about a 10 mph wind

Yes I think that you have a shooter :mrgreen:! That rifle and load are going to put some hurt on a few coyotes. Thanks for the range report & photos.

Blessings,
Dan

You have every reason to be pleased with that load and with your form. Congratulations on a fine rifle.

Nice looking rig but a 30 round clip will work nicely unless you shoot great at moving targets for a long time! Good thing about these you can stay down on it and see where ya need to send your rounds without coming off the rifle! Them Coyotes can be from 0 to 400 yds faster than ya can blink an eye ball especially the gunshy ones :lol:

Thanks guys, I've dusted only one yote this year with my Grendel and didn't have my phone/camera with me but the 107 smk and left a tennis ball sized exit wound at about 150 yards... Wondering if the 130 ab would be better for just punching holes in the hide or the swift scirocco

Very nice! I am betting it is a blast to shoot.

Maybe the 120 BT or a 120 or 123 SST or Amax as well? Any of those three should let you keep a little speed and still not hammer hides. Hard tellin though, so many things on a coyote can get torn up quick.

Back