Feedback on Savage Rifles

548bhd

Beginner
Jan 1, 2005
I am considering adding a 7mm-08 to my gun cabinet. Unfortunately I am finding not many factory rifles are chambered for this round. Savage offers quite a few of their models in this chambering, but I have not owned any of the newer Savages, and none with the Accutrigger. Any input on Savages would be appreciated.

548bhd":2oqd8s5s said:
I am considering adding a 7mm-08 to my gun cabinet. Unfortunately I am finding not many factory rifles are chambered for this round. Savage offers quite a few of their models in this chambering, but I have not owned any of the newer Savages, and none with the Accutrigger. Any input on Savages would be appreciated.

I find it odd that you are having trouble finding rifles chambered in 7mm-08. It has become one of the more popular chamberings here in Northern NY. IMO It is probably the ideal cartridge for medium game when one wants something that will get the job done without excess recoil etc.

It is available in various Win. M70s, Rem. M700, M7. Kimber M84, etc.

I was under the impression that just about everyone chambered their short action bolt guns in 7mm-08.

i have a 10fm savage "sierra". it does not have the accu-trigger.i love it!!
i put a 2.5x leu. scout scope on it and it shoots like a dream.the factory trigger adjusted down to just over 2lbs. no take-up,crisp break. imo you could do a lot worse for a lot more money.

ihave 4 of them and 2 customs built on savage actions needless to say i love em . they all shooot very well. i even like the ugly nut on the barrel. for the money ya can save on the gun ya can spend the diference on better optics , loader

Everybody that I talk to, that has one, loves the Accutrigger and say that the Savage shoots great out of the box. Personally, I would think that they are worth a try (especially for the price). But the 7m-08 is available thru almost every rifle manufacturer. It is probably the hottest deer caliber out there right now.

Long

Thanks to all for the information. Agreed that 7mm-08 is a popular round and that all major manufacturers do chamber rifles for it. Where I live it is not a popular round and I would pretty much have to order it to get one. Thanks again.

if ya can find a used savage short action i ahve a very good 7mm-08 barrel ya can have for a trade. like 200gr .308 ab seconds. pm me if your interested, loader

Ugliest thing i ever saw. But man do they shoot. I am very partial to remington 700s. And i would suggest one of their new sps in 7-08. Mainly due to the fact that they come with 24" barrels. But if you want a savage, they are good rifles. I didnt care for the accutrigger on mine. Just couldnt get used to that much movement to make it go boom. I finally ditched the center piece of the trigger and managed to shoot some very nice groups. The rifle i had was the 12bvss in 300wsm. I shot some groups in the low .4s using 150 grain factory loads. But i had to get rid of it . Just couldnt get used to the feel of the rifle. Something else to keep in mind...there is a company that is called SHARPSHOOTERS SAVAGE SPECIALTIES that works strictly on savage rifles. They do excellent work and are very reasonable. They handle everything from minor mods all the way to full custom rigs. They even offer a line of synthetic stocks that are superb. I wont degrade the savages. They are very accurate. Very well made rifles. I just prefer to stick with my custom 700s.

I have had so many of them that I loose count. Never had a bad one. Great shooters. Strong action. I have a Savage Scout rifle in 7MM-08. This is one great caliber. :)

I have a Savage model 111FL in 7mm ultra mag-nothing fancy to look at but shoots AWESOME :grin:

I bought a savage in 22-250. I had the choice of a remington, winchester, browning, etc, but I chose to spend the extra money on good optics. This rifle does not have the accutrigger, but it still shoots greats. Average groups with the cheap winchester white box ammo run around .75 moa for 5 shots. I worked up handload with a 52 gr speer hp and 36.5 gr varget powder and it shoots better. .25-.5 moa groups for 10 shots. The savage line of rifles are the most accurate factory rifles I have ever shot, this includes all of my weatherby rifles. As a side note -- this accuracy is not a fluke. My brother bought a rifle similer to mine, but three years newer and it shoots a little tighter than my rifle. We bought my mom a savage package rifle in 308 wcf (the same rifle as a 7mm-08, just a larger tube) and it shoots under moa with cheap factory ammo. For the money they are the best as long as you are not interested in fancy walnut stocks and deep, high luster bluing.

I have a SAVAGE in a 204 Ruger Caliber. Most accurate out - of - the - box rifle I have ever shot!

My 7mm-08 is a TIKKA T3. Just pure performance! Love the 7mm-08 Cartridge!

Seedsntrees said:
I have a SAVAGE in a 204 Ruger Caliber. Most accurate out - of - the - box rifle I have ever shot!

I bought the Savage 12FV model in 204 Ruger. Shoots awesome, love the accutrigger, bought the so called composite stock is not stable enough to utilize my bipods. Easy fix though, looking at a Boyd's "varmint thumbhole" stock to replace it. Like I said above, shoots like a dream.
32 gn V-max w/27 gn of H322.

The newer Savages shoot very well. Their varmit rifles usually outshoot Rugers, Winchesters, and Remingtons.

Looking for a new rifle is like looking for a new girlfriend, you don't go out and LOOK for an ugly one. :lol: :roll: :lol:

However, sometimes their performance outweghs the cosmetics. :shock: Choice is yours. :wink:

I had a 223 that would not shoot 40's, 50's 55's, 68's, or 69's. It was my first and last Savage. If I ever buy a cheaper gun again it will be another Howa, I have had tremendous luck with them. I picked the Savage originally because of the 1 in 9 twist to shoot custom comp bullets. Boy that cost me a lot of money in load development. There customer service sucks too.

Back