Elk with 150 grain ABLR (280 Rem)

Thank you, fellows. Appreciate each of you and the contribution you have made to my shooting through comments, your own posts and your love for the shooting sports.

Nice looking elk! Looks like the ABLR did the trick. I might have to try them in my 280.

243Win,

Welcome to the forum; glad to have you aboard. I do believe the 150 grain ABLR will enable the .280 Rem. to exceed even the phenomenal job it already does for the avid hunter/shooter.

Thanks for the welcome. Incredible speeds you're getting with that load. I haven't yet been able to get mine anywhere near that fast with a 150 grain bullet. Beautiful rifle too.

243win":i4pxhwno said:
Thanks for the welcome. Incredible speeds you're getting with that load. I haven't yet been able to get mine anywhere near that fast with a 150 grain bullet. Beautiful rifle too.

I rechecked my notes, and I was wrong on the velocity. It is ~3050 fps, at least 50 fps less than I stated. Still, that is stepping out. This particular rifle does shoot very well, and velocities do tend to be exceptional, however.

That's a potent combo. I'd be happy with anything north of 2900. Just gotta collect the danged 280.

Mike, another question, now that you've shot the ABLRs. Have you noticed they tend to run faster than PT or BTs with less pressure? My 7 and 270 are running the 168 and 150's faster than I've thought but pressures seem very sane.

Oh, any sign of the bullet after butchering?

Scotty,

My impression (based on rather limited experience at this point) mirrors yours. The 150 ABLR appears to run markedly faster than the 150 BT or 150 PT w/o pressure signs. I'll be loading up my 270WSM shortly, using 150 grain ABLR and my 7mmWSM with 168 grain ABLR. We'll see if the observation holds on these.

Cool
I am going to work some up tonight for my 280AI with H4831SC and test over the weekend.

Wapiti Slayer .270":10zbza5b said:
You ever think of writing books for us outdoor junkies?

Nope. I don't consider myself to be that good a writer. I just enjoy sharing what happens when I get away from the desk.

DrMike":3txs7n01 said:
Wapiti Slayer .270":3txs7n01 said:
You ever think of writing books for us outdoor junkies?

Nope. I don't consider myself to be that good a writer. I just enjoy sharing what happens when I get away from the desk.
Well FWIW as a long time reader versus poster, I'd think you'd do just fine in that arena. Can't say I've ever read a story of yours that hasn't kept my rapt attention. Keep up the good work, Dr..

Thank you kindly. At this point, all my writing has been in technical journals or as sermons. I may have to think about this.

Your hunts could put Pat McManus out of business somedays Mike. I love to read about you and your Native Tracker exploits!

Perhaps I should take a sabbatical next spring and do some writing--after I get through the fall hunting season and before spring fishing. The encouragement is unexpected and greatly appreciated.

Back