Eastern North Carolina

velvetant

Handloader
Apr 16, 2007
Hi all
I've been invited on a whitetail deer hunt next fall.
Any info you can give me would be great, weather, terrain, ext.
Never flew anywhere for a hunt and have no idea what I'm doing :? :? :?
In fact I don't fly at all unless I have absolutely no choice, prefer road trips
What's the best way to get my hunting gear to my destination?
Do I treat it like a backpack hunting trip with minimal gear or ship stuff there?
Processed game will be packed in dry ice and shipped back via UPS
This will be my big hunt for the year and I won't be putting in for tags in Nevada.

Thanks

Randy

Randy, Eastern NC is fairly mixed with heavily timbered flatlands, and wide open agriculture fields. I can't imagine you would need too much hunting gear since it isn't really that cold down there at all, till about Jan. I am not sure how you will be hunting so that is kinda hard to give good intel, but any of your rifles like the 6.5's or 270 would be right at home. I would imagine you will be stand hunting, so a rifle with good optics that can see right up till the last moments of light would give you a little edge. I was stationed down in Eastern NC for 3 years (Camp Lejeune NC) but didn't really have a ton of time to really explore the hunting as much as I would have liked. There are some great bucks down there though. Scotty

Randy,

Can't give you any intel on NC, but I will enjoy reading about your hunt when it takes place. Best of luck when you go.

Any general info you guys can give me about flying where you hunt would help.

Randy

Randy -
I have flown with rifles a few times and the best advice I can give you is buy the best rifle case you can afford. Pelican and SKB both make great cases (plan on spending $200 +). TSA will look at the rifle and place an inspection card inside the case before you close and lock it after checking in. Some airlines will let you put ammunition in the same case as the rifle and some won't...best to check with the airline you are flying on. Some airlines have a weight limit on how much ammo you can carry as well. Put your hunting knife in the gun case as well.

I check all of my hunting gear in a duffle bag, but carry on my binos and any other sensitive, expensive optics.

Check in at least 1 - 1.5 hours ahead of departure to allow for the ringnuts at TSA to figure out what to do with someone that dares bring a rifle into their airports :evil: :roll: .

Back