e-tip comparison

Nov 8, 2010
Do any of you guys out there have any " real world " experience with the expansion differences between the Nosler E-tips and Barnes TSX or Tipped TSX . Looking to see if there are any true differences in wound channel diameter and penetration characteristics ? Your input would be terrific ! Thanks ...........Ballistictip

The E-tips expand quite well, comparable to the TSX. I've killed a lot of game using the TSX over the past decade, and I've now taken several head of game with the E-Tip. Dead is dead, and the game seems to drop right smartly at the shot if I do my part.

I also have real world experience with the Nolser Partition and the Barnes TSX. As Mike mentioned the monolithic bullet seems to penetrate deeper. However expansion has been lacking on the two elk that I have killed with the TSX. In fact I was so disappointed I spent quite some time developing a hunting load with the AB and Pt for that rifle. Both elk I shot did not respond positively, I mean wandering around after the shot. Looking sick requiring a second shot and finally falling. I believe that a PT in the same location would have done it quicker and faster.

I certainly agree with Bill on this issue. The monolithic bullets do penetrate deeper, but the wound channel is less expansive. Shot placement may be more critical with the monolithic bullets. On the other hand, they are almost guaranteed to break a tough shoulder bone. However, in reality, I can't imagine anyone shooting a 30-06 or larger cartridge not inflicting major damage on a shoulder if they are using a Partition or an AccuBond.

I haven't used the E-tip yet, but I have used the Barnes TTSX. They are an awesome bullet! Loaded with IMR4350 in my 280, they are a whitetail hammer, and probably would be just as good on larger game. I have yet to recover a bullet, so that shows you the penetration that they get.

I shot a buck at close range last year with a 130gr E-Tip moving along at 3420fps mv. Shot was facing straight on, which I normally would not take, but at 25yds and it being a buck I'd already shot once, I figured a finishing shot wasn't the time to be choosy. Entered at the base of the neck, traveled down the full length of the spine, right along the right side of the spine, through heavy muscle and bone the whole way. Exited with a half-dollar sized exit wound about 2" to the right of the base of his tail. Monoliths will most certainly penetrate. For comparison, first shot was about 175yds, directly through the left front shoulder, quartering, and exited on the right side of the chest. Broke the leg/shoulder and gave the same half-dollar sized exit. Follow-up shot was necessary because he was quartering more than I thought and I only clipped the front of a lung - the fault of the shooter, not the bullet. I was impressed that in two different impact scenarios the bullets performed identically, leaving good wound paths and fully expanding in both instances. I prefer lead core stuff in my standard velocity rounds, but in the hypervelocity rounds like my 270Wby, I like the monoliths. I'd have no qualms about taking a quartering shot at an elk out to a couple or three hundred yards with this bullet, and maybe out as far as 400yds. I'd like to be closer, no matter what rifle I'm carrying, but I do like to be ready for shot opportunities as they come available.

I have used both the E-tip and the TTSX extensively. The biggest problem with the E-tip that I have had is that it does not mushroom much at at lower velocities at the extended ranges. At 2,200-2,300 fps that my 300 WSM shoots at 400 yards, the performance is fairly abysmal. These were/are 180 grain E-tips

Attachments

• IMG_0251.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 572
Wow, runtohunt, what sort of media or animal did those two bullets impact?

dubyam":14tpggn6 said:
Wow, runtohunt, what sort of media or animal did those two bullets impact?

X2. Give us some details. I've shot a few animals with the older X bullets and a few with the TSX. PTs and ABs seem to work better for me. I do think they all have a place.

These aren't exactly the bullets you asked for but it's still a pretty good comparison as they were all shot into water jugs at 100 yards. At least it begins to give some reference.

90 gr. 6mm E-tip 3160 fps muzzle / 165 gr. 30-06 AccuBond 2950 fps / 100 gr. 6mm Partition 3100 fps
E-tipAccubondPartition.jpg

Bottomside.jpg

90 gr. E-tip at 300 yards into water jugs
013-2.jpg

012-2.jpg

The bullets were were in the dirt behind the target. I also have 150 grain E-tips from a 30-378 at 400 yards (which mushroomed beautifully, the elk hate them), as well as 150 grain Barnes, 100 grain Barnes etc. if any body is interested.

runtohunt":vlkemy9p said:
The bullets were were in the dirt behind the target. I also have 150 grain E-tips from a 30-378 at 400 yards (which mushroomed beautifully, the elk hate them), as well as 150 grain Barnes, 100 grain Barnes etc. if any body is interested.

Heck yeah we are! Put em up if you can.

I will post the bullets later today in the bullet section when I get an opportunity. I knew there was a reason why I saved them

Back