Do you spend more on firearms or hunting trips

Sean, because of age, health and physical condition, I have had to pretty much give up hunting except for local raccoons who have killed two of my pet house cats in the past two months, plus other varmits. However, scaling down hunting has also resulted in scaling down my gun safe from 30 guns, including revolvers down to (18) guns. Presently which is comprised of (7) centerfire rifles, (2) rimfire rifles, (2) shotguns and (7) handguns of various persuations. All of which I use for some purpose or another.

So, the simple answer is that I have more invested in guns than in hunting currently. Actually, with me this has always been the case. This at least in part because I collected Winchesters and Colt Peacemakers. Plus, I was so busy working that I only could get away for hunting maybe 6-10 days a year. Costwise, most of my firearms and scopes are not cheaper brands, with most scopes costing at least 75% of what the rifle cost or more in some cases.

This is a fine arrangement with me though, given the circumstances. Plus, I have thoroughly enjoyed the collector fireams that I have owned and passed on over the years. I also derive great pleasure from shooting fine optics on the rifle which are so equipped. Additionally, I have donated over a dozen rifles, shotguns (mostly Winchester rifles and Browning shotguns) plus handguns (Kimber and S&W), with several rifle scopes (mostly Leupold and Zeiss) to various children and grandchildren.

It's not even close, my fuel alone exceeds the costs of any rifle I would buy. Besides over the last five years my rifle sales has far exceeded the purchases. Add tags, PP and the license and you are talking big bucks.

Good point Bill, I would say it has been even for awhile and with you continuing to clean your safe, it isn't going to swing the other way soon enough!

I do spend quite alot for hunting out of state though. I don't even think the real spending has begun just yet.

Your question has a couple of factors that significantly influence the answer. If one lives in a prime hunting area, that cuts down costs of trips considerably, freeing up more moneys for firearms. If one lives in an area that does not have the variety of big game that we want to hunt, then the same resources have to be set aside for the hunting trip itself. Also, those wishing to hunt in primer areas are almost always compelled to spend large amounts of moneys hiring guides due to legislation. An American wishing to hunt British Columbia will spend a lot of money hiring a guide, whereas a resident of the province hunts for the cost of the license alone. Some of the costs associated with desirable game approaches exorbitant. Twenty-thousand dollars to hunt sheep or ten thousand to hunt grizzly isn't at all out of the realm of reason today. Guided moose hunts can easily run ten thousand dollars by the time travel and incidental amenities are included. If funds are expended on such trips, there is that much less available for firearms. Moreover, because for most people such a trip would be a "once in a lifetime" venture, they will spend considerable money on a firearm just for the trip. Consequently, because God graciously settled me in northern British Columbia, far more of my moneys are spent on firearms than are spent on hunting trips; I am able to allocate my funds in that manner without impacting my hunting.

I easily spend more on hunting trips than firearms and I live within 100 miles of all of my hunting for sheep, moose, caribou, grizzly, and black bears. Throw in small game, birds and fishing and its not even close!

I just hunt close to home a LOT!

When I was younger I spent more time and money collecting guns and much less hunting.

Hodgeman,

I do agree that my trips cost plenty. However, the acquisitions of firearms and equipment is a disease that seems to have no immediate cure.

Guns and optics by a mile I live in pretty good big game hunting and premium coyote hunting, that is the main reason I live here. I could easily transfer to the west side of the state where the fishing is best but the setup I have here most people would find agreeable

DrMike":tm2h9vf2 said:
Your question has a couple of factors that significantly influence the answer. If one lives in a prime hunting area, that cuts down costs of trips considerably, freeing up more moneys for firearms. If one lives in an area that does not have the variety of big game that we want to hunt, then the same resources have to be set aside for the hunting trip itself. Also, those wishing to hunt in primer areas are almost always compelled to spend large amounts of moneys hiring guides due to legislation. An American wishing to hunt British Columbia will spend a lot of money hiring a guide, whereas a resident of the province hunts for the cost of the license alone. Some of the costs associated with desirable game approaches exorbitant. Twenty-thousand dollars to hunt sheep or ten thousand to hunt grizzly isn't at all out of the realm of reason today. Guided moose hunts can easily run ten thousand dollars by the time travel and incidental amenities are included. If funds are expended on such trips, there is that much less available for firearms. Moreover, because for most people such a trip would be a "once in a lifetime" venture, they will spend considerable money on a firearm just for the trip. Consequently, because God graciously settled me in northern British Columbia, far more of my moneys are spent on firearms than are spent on hunting trips; I am able to allocate my funds in that manner without impacting my hunting.

Excellent point Dr. Mike.

To date I have spent more on firearms, scopes, ammo, and everything else it takes or I want associated with hunting than the hunting trips themselves. If I add into the equation my two teenage children who also love to hunt, then the cost of firearms and scopes far outweigh the cost of our family using the equipment on a hunt or hunts. I also have caught the collectable bug and this adds to the firearm side of things

DrMike":2u4z4b6j said:
Hodgeman,

I do agree that my trips cost plenty. However, the acquisitions of firearms and equipment is a disease that seems to have no immediate cure.

Can't speak for you folks, but in my experience the cure to that disease is called "Christy".

Feel lucky though, she says nothing negative about spending money on trips and other equipment. She frowns on collecting a bunch of different rifles that do basically the same thing. Unfortunately I've taught her enough to discern the difference!

Ah, yes, our ladies do add another dimension to the business of acquiring man toys. I've often pointed out that the cost of acquisitions sky rockets when you add in carpeting, dining room suites, remodelling fees, etc.

Over the years I've gone back and forth. While living in the Northeast Deer hunting in Maine was only a couple of hours away and with relatives living there (a place to stay) the trip was inexpensive so the extra money went to firearms. Now that I'm in Florida and found Elk hunting about 12 years ago (30 years ago would have been much better) I definitely spend more money on the hunt. I still find the occasional firearm I can't do without but hunting in Elk country outdoes everything else.

Well, since I have hunted a grand total of 45 minutes in the last three years, and have gone on The Mother of All Gun Benders at some point in there, I'd have to say guns.

I am blessed to live in a province with lots of game :). I get hunt both Moose and Elk and the only cost is fuel and the cost of getting it cut and wrapped.
I would say this 35 Whelen with the Leica on top would likely have cost the equivalent of a couple years of hunting :mrgreen:
But it is not about the money, I enjoy both the hunting and the purchasing of man toys.

Blessings,
Dan

I have spent more on guns and optics than on hunting BUT I plan on changing that over the next few years.

JD338

My hunting opportunities have been limited at best since moving to the DFW area sixteen years ago, and the few outings I've enjoyed since then have only been about one-in-five successful. A part of that has been because I've spent the majority of my available funding on firearms, optics, and components over the last two decades. I think I have arrived at the point that I am equipped for anything I might have an opportunity to experience in all of North America so it's time to start getting serious about some quality field time. I wish that when I lived in places like Billings, Montana and Blackfoot, Idaho I had the resources and equipment I have now, but I didn't so I did not get to take full advantage of the opportunities available to me back then. The only really great hunting I've experienced in any volume was busting varmints when I lived in the El Paso area...but I guess I got my share of it!

I guess I feel nearly embarrassed by riches.

When I lived in TN the hunting opportunities were really pretty limited to a few weeks each year on my own land and varmint shooting was limited by the amount of landowners one could get access with. I spent a lot on guns and shooting...mostly competitive handgun shooting since I had my own backyard range and quite a number of opportunities in the area.

After I relocated to Alaska, I have nearly unlimited hunting opportunity. I can hunt vast tracts of public land year round. Don't get me wrong I still spend plenty on firearms but not nearly what I do on hunting and fishing trips. I generally try to keep it to one reasonable rifle (relative to my income) per year. Heck, I spent almost as much on fishing charters this year as I do most years on rifles.

I don't really accumulate a bunch more (keeps the wife happy anyways) but usually just look to upgrade what's already in the inventory... I may only have a half dozen...but they're nice ones.

Back