Dang 140 Ab's in my marlin 270!!

kraky

Handloader
Jan 21, 2006
Shootin at 200 yds today. The cluster is the first 4 shots but then the darn flyer jumps up. Whats a guy to do??
I guess I'll blame it on a warm barrel....certainly couldn't be me.
Group was still 1.4" c to c.
Can't wait to load some more and go back. Max load of re19 with 215 primer cranking 3000fps.
Picture003.jpg

You gotta' be feeling good about that load! It looks as if things are coming together very well for you.

kraky, I'd just scrap it and start over with a load that at least shows some promise. :lol:

Nice job and nice shooting!

Oh yea Kraky. Superb 3 shot group. I,m not surprised at all. The 140AB is one heck of a bullet. I shot a four shot group the other day at 200 yrds. and pulled the 4th three inches right. Dang it. The first three were about an inch. Not as good as your three. Its me not the load. :)

What's a guy to do you say? Shoot 4 shot groups instead of 5 :) Nice shooting, looks like you are well on the way to finding a good load.

hubcap":q1o30sba said:
Oh yea Kraky. Superb 3 shot group. I,m not surprised at all. The 140AB is one heck of a bullet. I shot a four shot group the other day at 200 yrds. and pulled the 4th three inches right. Dang it. The first three were about an inch. Not as good as your three. Its me not the load. :)

The AccuBond is one heck of a bullet. The Marlin XL-7 are one heck of a rifle. Way to go,good shooting

Wow, great shooting. That 140 AB is a tough bullet. Handled an elk and muley for me without too many issues..

Nice shooting for sure.
Just remember, 3 shots test the gun/load and 5 shots test the shooter. :wink:

JD338

Excellent shooting, great 20o yard group.

Well in all honesty I'm "cheating" a bit. Igot a 6-24 scope on the gun for load developmrnt and am using a lead sled that sure holds the gun steady. One trick I had to do with this gun. It has a very soft recoil pad that kind of hangs down below the bottom line of the stock. The bottom corner of the recoil pad seems to be dragging on the bottom channel of the lead sled making it hard to get good feeling fit with the back of the pad and the rear of the lead sled.
I made up a little wood block with a pilot hole that I now set the rear sling stud into. It "jacks up" the gun position for a more solid contact of the recoil pad.
Anyhow....I picked up the gun new off "Gunbroker" for $235 and it sure is alot of gun for the money with a nice "accutrigger" type trigger and "limbsaver" like recoil pad and a bolt that's almost as smooth as my tikkas.
Anyone can reload for those fancy custom guns......it's fun to get a $300 rifle to do this!!!!

One of them Marlins in a soft recoiling round would be a perfect rifle for new hunters. Plus, you wouldn't have to worry about it getting banged up or abused. I think Marlin did well with them..

Back