CWD

I haven’t heard this aspect of the story.
Ive just heard about the hunters dying.
Regardless I don’t think I would take a deer that I felt was infected with the disease, let alone eat it.
Im not too sure I trust the CDC much either….

Jim, thanks for sharing this story. I had not heard of it before your post. It is a bit concerning. If CWD can't be controlled, it could lead to the end of deer and elk hunting as we know it.

Hadn't heard about those deaths from CWD. It has been in WV first found in parts of two counties in the eastern panhandle and has now spread to a couple others. Deer from all 55 counties have been and are tested. No deaths reported so far. Hopefully there won't be any. I'm not sure there is definite cause and effect or what the final results will be. Time will tell. Dan.

to me , it seems to be too much of a coincidence for the CDC to blow this incident off as nothing to see here , happens all the time . I have zero confidence in the CDC . about two weeks ago the one lease member got to talking about CWD , and asking questions . our lease is in a disease unit , but on the very edge . I've never noticed anything odd in our herd . we had a pretty good talk about CWD . now this is in my newspaper . I asked the other guys in our lease if anyone had seen , or heard about it , thinking that lease member might have read about this happening , is why he brought it up . none of us knew about it . nobody had much to say about it , I think it has them wondering though . one guy says it's just fear mongering , nothing to worry about . their going to use this as a way to justify killing off the herd .

this seems to be the way this is being played ; they say not to eat an infected animal , and have them tested . they also say humans don't , or can't , get CWD . they just neglect to say , humans do get Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease . I think these are the same thing , with a different name ?

if anyone finds more info , please post it up . thanks for the replies Fellas .

My understanding is that both CWD and C-J disease are at least thought to be caused by prions, which are a type of misfolded proteins. If that is the case, then I see no reason why it would not be transmissible from deer to human, in much the same way as it is thought that prions can be transmitted from beef to humans (mad cow disease). I say transmissible, but my understanding is that there must be physical contact with brain or spinal tissue.

Back