Complementing Cartridges

CMBTshooter

Handloader
Jun 8, 2011
I'm going to work on a matching pair of Remington 700s to hunt anywhere in the world. I know for a large caliber I want a .375 H&H and for the smaller caliber I am thinking of a .30 cal or a 7mm. The issue is that I cannot decide which one! There are too many good ones out there and I would like to keep it a classic.

This is going to be a fun project. My brother and I are going to work on blueprinting and barreling the actions whenever I go home to visit next.

Hard not to think about the .30-06 and the .375H&H for a two rifle battery good for anywhere in the world.

You can make a different choice, not sure there is a better choice.

When folks talk about all-around cartridges, it always pleases me to see these 3 words;

three-seventy-five (H&H), what a grand old work-horse.

I would lean toward a smaller caliber to go with the .375. You won't be using the heavy .30s because you have the .375 so you'll mostly be using the 165 down. For that I would prefer a 7mm, .270, or 6.5. A .270 win or .280 rem or AI would do well. Heck you could even go with a .25-06 and have the varmints covered too.

hodgeman":316fn1jr said:
Hard not to think about the .30-06 and the .375H&H for a two rifle battery good for anywhere in the world.

Pretty tough not to go this route although a 270 or 280 might work as well. It would be hard to beat a 30-06/375 H&H combo.

Stillhunter":3mjorgro said:
First thing that came to my mind was 300 H&H to go with 375 H&H

This has merit as well, the 300 H&H isn't really common but it is an intriguing idea.

Hmmm. Good suggestions.

Actually I don't have a .30 cal gap at all, I have 700s in .308 and .300 Win Mag, also a 1903A3 in .30-06. I guess I just like the .30s. It is however, time to try something new.

Maybe a 7mm STW or .264 Win Mag. Something flat shooting. Perhaps a 26 or 28 Nosler would be a good match.

CMBTshooter":3n1b0nbc said:
Hmmm. Good suggestions.

Actually I don't have a .30 cal gap at all, I have 700s in .308 and .300 Win Mag, also a 1903A3 in .30-06. I guess I just like the .30s. It is however, time to try something new.

Maybe a 7mm STW or .264 Win Mag. Something flat shooting. Perhaps a 26 or 28 Nosler would be a good match.

As much as I hate to give this advice, because it is so widely overwrought emotionally.... but for a "world wide" gun for traveling, I'd want something that ate really common ammo. 375H&H is sold world wide.... the '06, 7mmRM are both pretty common everywhere people hunt stuff. .300WM and .270 are pretty common most spots as well. When you move off of those numbers, the choices can dry up quickly.

A lot of that depends on where you go, the more remote and the farther out...the more common I'd want it to be.

The 30-06 and 375 H&H combo would give you two rifles with the same trajectories. Not a bad thing.

JD338

hodgeman":36gotyj7 said:

This gets my vote too!!!

They cannot be beaten.

Dale

A 275 H&H would be cool if you wanted to stay with classic cartridges. I'd probably do a 7 Rem. mag or 300wm but a 264wm would do pretty good as well.

CMBTshooter":3hmyim87 said:
Hmmm. Good suggestions.

You could dare to be different and do a 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum if you aren't worried about handloading.. Plenty of good 7mm Rem Mag's waiting to get growed up :lol:

The 375 H&H sounds like an excellent choice as well.

I would go with a 270 win with premium bullets in 140-150 gr and use the 375 h&h for any thing too big or too mean.

For North America I started with a 35 Whelen and a 270 Win so you see how I lean.

It is a calibre designed to hold the space between a 6.5X55 and a 280, Bill.

Back