Chronograph Recommendations

killdeernow

Beginner
Dec 20, 2006
So, as I told you a few times, I’m new to reloading (again…long story). I figured if I’m going to attempt it again, I was going to do it right. To do it right, I needed a chrono. I went to Midway and started researching etc. etc. and found that the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph had 82 five star reviews out of 96 at the time of purchase. Can’t beat that right?

Well, I went to the range to test 15 223 WSSM loads I cooked up and I used my new chrono. I followed the instructions and put the chrono about 12 feet away from the muzzle. 1st shot didn’t register, 2nd shot didn’t register, 3rd shot registered…yeah! Cleaned rifle, repeated procedure and none registered.

So, I moved the chrono closer the next few shots. Then it was erratic. At first I thought it was me and my crappy reloading techniques so I put some factory loads through it. Again, erratic…I’m talking over 1500 FPS erratic!

I finished at the range and went home and vented to the wife (better than a shrink). She called Midway (I didn’t know this) and ended up getting a refund. Score one for Midway, GREAT PLACE TO DO BUSINESS!!!!

Now for you guys: what chrono do you guys recommend? Thanks,

I use the Shooting Chrony Beta Master and am satisfied with it. There are better instruments out there, but not for the money. The only time mine gives me any problem is when the sun is very low on the horizon. Other than that it all peaches. I really like having the readout and controls on the bench right in front of me too.

Rob. I run the Beta Master. Not the best but works well for me if used in good conditions.

I have two Shooting Chrony Beta Masters and a Oehler 35. All work well. Muzzle blast can be a problem with the Chronys if they are too close. Otherwise, they have never disappointed me.

I have a PACT Professional and a Beta Master Chrony. The PACT I've had since ~2003. The BMC I won in a contest in 2006-2007. The PACT hasn't been out of the case in at least five years, once I did two things. First, I verified the BMC gives as good and as consistent readings as the PACT. Second, I figured out the BMC took about 4min to set up, where the PACT took about 10, and the PACT required it's own suitcase to travel to the range, while the BMC fits into my shooting box. In all reality, either works just fine, and if I felt like I needed a printout, I'd use my PACT. I need to get it out sometime and be sure it still works...

I think most folks on here will agree, there is nothing out there today that is better than an Ohler 35. I have an old Ohler model 33 and it works great but is tedious to set up and take 6 D batteries. (And they go out with NO warning)

For the last 10 years or so I have been using a Pact chronograph and have had little in the way of problems. I did have an issue a couple of years back when it would read only some shots. I go to looking and the wire going into one of the screens was loose. I took the screen apart and resoldered the wire, no more problems.

The Pact also has an issue with the battery going bad without notice, but it is only one 9V, not a box full of D's.

The Pact is VERY consistant. I was looking at some data the other day and when chronographing the same load more than a year apart I got virtually the same reading. (As in 5 fps difference!)

The Pact gets my vote for which chronograph to buy. I have seen people have SO many problems with the Chrony's that I would not have one, period. My buddy has one and he cannot get the same reading twice no matter how hard he tries. Sometimes it reads faster than my Pact, sometime slower. He can never reproduce the same velocity when he goes to the range.

dubyam":xk980rls said:
I have a PACT Professional and a Beta Master Chrony. The PACT I've had since ~2003. The BMC I won in a contest in 2006-2007. The PACT hasn't been out of the case in at least five years, once I did two things. First, I verified the BMC gives as good and as consistent readings as the PACT. Second, I figured out the BMC took about 4min to set up, where the PACT took about 10, and the PACT required it's own suitcase to travel to the range, while the BMC fits into my shooting box. In all reality, either works just fine, and if I felt like I needed a printout, I'd use my PACT. I need to get it out sometime and be sure it still works...

Hey dubyam, there is a printer available for the Chrony:

http://shootingchrony.com/products_printer.htm

There's even a case to keep it all convenient:

http://shootingchrony.com/products_ACCESSORIES.htm

I'm mulling over the case. I've been packing my second (the first developed shock sensitivity so I took advantage of their trade-in program and upgraded) Chrony around in the original cardboard box stuffed into my range bag for five or six years. I don't care for printers and I don't want to over-accessorize but the case might be nice to have.

RiverRider":kjsvrnx0 said:
dubyam":kjsvrnx0 said:

Hey dubyam, there is a printer available for the Chrony:

http://shootingchrony.com/products_printer.htm

There's even a case to keep it all convenient:

http://shootingchrony.com/products_ACCESSORIES.htm

I'm mulling over the case. I've been packing my second (the first developed shock sensitivity so I took advantage of their trade-in program and upgraded) Chrony around in the original cardboard box stuffed into my range bag for five or six years. I don't care for printers and I don't want to over-accessorize but the case might be nice to have.

I put my whole chrony set up in an old 50 cal ammo can. Everything fits in there nicely and I keep the chrony in the box it came with. Seems to keep everything together nicely.

One thing I forgot. I should epoxy the screen rods together. Sometimes an errant shot or muzzle blast will send them flying. Kinda annoying. I figure if I epoxied them together, I wouldn't have quite as many issues with that. Still, not a big deal..

SJB358":25uavip1 said:
I put my whole chrony set up in an old 50 cal ammo can. Everything fits in there nicely and I keep the chrony in the box it came with. Seems to keep everything together nicely.

One thing I forgot. I should epoxy the screen rods together. Sometimes an errant shot or muzzle blast will send them flying. Kinda annoying. I figure if I epoxied them together, I wouldn't have quite as many issues with that. Still, not a big deal..

I've never had the rods sent flying from an errant muzzle blast, but I keep quite a few extra rods because of shooting them. It is quite a testimony to the BCMs that the guide rods have been shot multiple times and the chronograph keeps on ticking.

DrMike":25o3f5e8 said:
SJB358":25o3f5e8 said:

I've never had the rods sent flying from an errant muzzle blast, but I keep quite a few extra rods because of shooting them. It is quite a testimony to the BCMs that the guide rods have been shot multiple times and the chronograph keeps on ticking.

I seem to get it alot when shooting at my local range. Lanes are pretty tight and the chrono takes some abuse from neighbor shooters.. I imagine 12 gauges and other guns get the best of it sometimes as well.

I can see your point, Scotty. I do all I can to pick a time when fewer people are present. However, when people are shooting larger cartridges, and especially when they have muzzle brakes, the blast can rock the Chrony, it is true.

I just got the Beta Master 2 days ago. Yesterday I set it up and looked at the directions for about 2 minutes then started playing with it. After playing and then going back to the directions I was able to get a good understanding. I tried a lot of different things and messed with it while shooting my long bow. (ave 159.3 FPS over 21 shots) I like it so far and want to take it to the range and try it with a .22 first. I think after an hour in the house and a .22 trip to the range I will be good to go. I did make a cheat sheet as to how to turn it on and clear the strings and memory. I am guessing that by the end of summer it will be easy to run but the cheat sheet will be good for the following season.

I have an Oehler 35.

2011-09-13101253-1.jpg

2011-09-13101302.jpg

Back